Quick Launch - customize how it displays RRS feed

• Question

• 1. Have a site with the following:

Root

S 1

S 2

S 3

2. When selecting Site 1 (or 2, or 3) we get the following (clean and neat) display:

S 1

Sub 1

Sub 2

Sub 3

S 2

S 3

3. Then if select any subsite, we get the following overblown display:

S 1

Sub 1

Sub 2

Sub 3

S 2

Sub 1

Sub 2

Sub 3

S 3

Sub 1

Sub 2

Sub 3

I have played around with possible configurations via Site Actions--Site Settings--Modify Navigation but have not been successful in achieving the desired result to display (a la item 2.) when on any subsite. Is this do-able? If so, how?

Tremendous thanks for any help,

TR

Monday, June 30, 2008 5:35 PM

Answers

• You have two types of navigation Global Navigation (TopNav) and Current Navigation (LeftNav/QuickLaunch). Without further information it sounds like the Current Navigation or LeftNav have been set differently on the sites, subsites and perhaps pages.

Example #3 it appears the LeftNav is inheriting from the parents navigation and this will cause a similar behaviot dependednt on how deep in to the taxonomy you are navigating.

Example #2 appears to be set to display the current site, the navigation items below the current site, and the current site's siblings this is what will apear everytime.

Example #1 the only time you see this type olf inheritance is if the children systems are using a different page layout or the site are set to not be visible.

Note there are some realy cool things you can do to improve the OOB SharePoint Navigation much more fun and help your users navigate to sites deeper with the Portal..

Edit The default.master and change the to 3 or 4 and you will get Flyouts on the Top Nav

<SharePoint:AspMenu
       ID="TopNavigationMenu"
       Runat="server"
       DataSourceID="topSiteMap"
       EnableViewState="false"
       AccessKey="<%$Resources:wss,navigation_accesskey%>"
       Orientation="Horizontal"
       StaticDisplayLevels="2"
       MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels="1"
       DynamicHorizontalOffset="0"
       StaticPopoutImageUrl="/_layouts/images/menudark.gif"
       StaticPopoutImageTextFormatString=""
       DynamicHoverStyle-BackColor="#CBE3F0"
       SkipLinkText=""
       StaticSubMenuIndent="0"
       CssClass="ms-topNavContainer">
      <StaticMenuStyle/>
      <StaticMenuItemStyle CssClass="ms-topnav" ItemSpacing="0px"/>
      <StaticSelectedStyle CssClass="ms-topnavselected" />
      <StaticHoverStyle CssClass="ms-topNavHover" />
      <DynamicMenuStyle  BackColor="#F2F3F4" BorderColor="#A7B4CE" BorderWidth="1px"/>
      <DynamicMenuItemStyle CssClass="ms-topNavFlyOuts"/>
      <DynamicHoverStyle CssClass="ms-topNavFlyOutsHover"/>
      <DynamicSelectedStyle CssClass="ms-topNavFlyOutsSelected"/>
     </SharePoint:AspMenu>

You can do the same on LeftNav. Also, I usually use inheritance on TopNav and on the Children on the LaftNav for consistency...

-Ivan

http://linkedin.com/is/iasanders

http://dimendion-si.com/blog

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 1:48 AM
  • Oh and you don't necassarily need to have SPD to edit master pages but it certainly helps. You can navigate to the master page gallery from Site Actions > Site Settings > Modify All Site Settings. From the master page gallery you can download and upload master pages. Having SPD really makes the process a lot more friendly though.

Once you get into editing the menu's this way, you can make changes like the previous responder recommends (changing the dataprovider and the levels that are displayed). Those blog entries that I listed can be a bit daunting at first, but if you play around with the settings in a dev env and then view the results, you will start to get the hang of it.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 2:43 AM

All replies

• Something sounds fishy here, have you changed the master page code for the <SharePoint:AspMenu>? I don't think it should be performing like that out of the box. Maybe you will find something helpful in these links:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ecm/archive/2007/02/16/moss-navigation-deep-dive-part-1.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/ecm/archive/2007/02/16/moss-navigation-deep-dive-part-2.aspx

Monday, June 30, 2008 8:54 PM
  • I haven't changed the master page code. Should I? And can I do so through the Site or do I need to use SP Designer? I crawled all over those links before I threw up my hands in defeat and finally posted my question. Sorry to be so clueless, but I am...and dazed and confused to boot!

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 12:34 AM
  • You have two types of navigation Global Navigation (TopNav) and Current Navigation (LeftNav/QuickLaunch). Without further information it sounds like the Current Navigation or LeftNav have been set differently on the sites, subsites and perhaps pages.

Example #3 it appears the LeftNav is inheriting from the parents navigation and this will cause a similar behaviot dependednt on how deep in to the taxonomy you are navigating.

Example #2 appears to be set to display the current site, the navigation items below the current site, and the current site's siblings this is what will apear everytime.

Example #1 the only time you see this type olf inheritance is if the children systems are using a different page layout or the site are set to not be visible.

Note there are some realy cool things you can do to improve the OOB SharePoint Navigation much more fun and help your users navigate to sites deeper with the Portal..

Edit The default.master and change the to 3 or 4 and you will get Flyouts on the Top Nav

<SharePoint:AspMenu
       ID="TopNavigationMenu"
       Runat="server"
       DataSourceID="topSiteMap"
       EnableViewState="false"
       AccessKey="<%$Resources:wss,navigation_accesskey%>"
       Orientation="Horizontal"
       StaticDisplayLevels="2"
       MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels="1"
       DynamicHorizontalOffset="0"
       StaticPopoutImageUrl="/_layouts/images/menudark.gif"
       StaticPopoutImageTextFormatString=""
       DynamicHoverStyle-BackColor="#CBE3F0"
       SkipLinkText=""
       StaticSubMenuIndent="0"
       CssClass="ms-topNavContainer">
      <StaticMenuStyle/>
      <StaticMenuItemStyle CssClass="ms-topnav" ItemSpacing="0px"/>
      <StaticSelectedStyle CssClass="ms-topnavselected" />
      <StaticHoverStyle CssClass="ms-topNavHover" />
      <DynamicMenuStyle  BackColor="#F2F3F4" BorderColor="#A7B4CE" BorderWidth="1px"/>
      <DynamicMenuItemStyle CssClass="ms-topNavFlyOuts"/>
      <DynamicHoverStyle CssClass="ms-topNavFlyOutsHover"/>
      <DynamicSelectedStyle CssClass="ms-topNavFlyOutsSelected"/>
     </SharePoint:AspMenu>

You can do the same on LeftNav. Also, I usually use inheritance on TopNav and on the Children on the LaftNav for consistency...

-Ivan

http://linkedin.com/is/iasanders

http://dimendion-si.com/blog

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 1:48 AM
  • Can you post a screenshot of the 3rd navigation, both top and side... I might be able to tell you if its behaving properly.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 2:39 AM
  • Oh and you don't necassarily need to have SPD to edit master pages but it certainly helps. You can navigate to the master page gallery from Site Actions > Site Settings > Modify All Site Settings. From the master page gallery you can download and upload master pages. Having SPD really makes the process a lot more friendly though.

Once you get into editing the menu's this way, you can make changes like the previous responder recommends (changing the dataprovider and the levels that are displayed). Those blog entries that I listed can be a bit daunting at first, but if you play around with the settings in a dev env and then view the results, you will start to get the hang of it.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 2:43 AM
  • Agreed you dont need SPD I usually just drop the page into VS05 or 08 you can almost as easily use a text editor (slickedit, editplus, etc).......... SPD is easier if you havent been writing code for awhile...

-Ivan

http://dimension-si.com/blog

http://linkedin.com/in/iasanders

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 3:47 AM
  • I have been searching for an answer to a problem similar to this.  Using Sharepoint Designer, I have established the quick launch flyouts, but it doesn't work beyond one sublevel.  Here are the settings: 

StaticDisplayLevels="1"
    MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels="3"

You see the Quick Launch minimized to the the major headings:
    Hover over a heading, get 2nd level flyout;
    Hover over flyout second level headings;
    Third level flyout is white background with white text and can only be seen if there is text in the background.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.  (btw: this is my first attempt seeking help.  if this is not the correct forum, I apologize and would appreciate guidance.)
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:47 AM