none
DPM 2012 SP1 Error Code 419 RRS feed

• Question

• Create protection group: Specialty Application Servers failed:
    Error 419: DPM could not set security permissions on the replica or recovery point volume that was created.
    Error details: The system cannot find the path specified
    Recommended action: Review the error details, take appropriate action and retry the operation.

The only help from anything on Tech net is that "this was ultimately a hardware related issue" is the only "answer" for a similar problem in DPM 2010, and "Information not yet available for this error type".

I have rebooted my DPM 2012 server, and I have also rebooted the machine with the iSCSI Target volume running. I have 17 servers whose backups are running fine, I just can't add any more of any type of servers that create new volumes on the available storage disks.

Randall

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:43 PM

Answers

• Ok, so i just managed to fix this issue on two of my DPM 2012 setups.  I can now add protection groups and modify them too.

to resolve my version of the error, i un-installed Microsoft Endpoint Protection.  Even though i had a policy applied to the collection through SCCM to set the exclusions for DPM, it must be causing the issues.

Try the fix and let me know how you get on

Monday, September 23, 2013 3:28 PM

All replies

• I too have the same issue with my DPM 2012 server and have tried the same methods you have gone through to try and resolve.  I cannot find anything on the internet that refrences this issue other than the one you mention.

Out of curiosity, what do you locate your short term protection on?  I use a Thecus NAS

Monday, September 16, 2013 8:21 PM
  • That is funny, I have two Thecus 8800 Pro boxes I am using for my storage pools. My only "other" theory is that the iSCSI software on the Thecus (even though I have latest firmware) isn't fully compatible with DPM 2012 SP1.

I just don't understand how the system will let me setup about 8-10 servers just fine, keep backing them up and then gives me the error 419 on anything I try to change or add.

I used to have DPM 2010 and didn't have this problem with these units.

Right now I am trying to find a very cheap JBOD box that I can install Windows 2012 Std on and then move my 8-16 SATA drives from the Thecus box just to "test" my theory about the iSCSI software version on the Thecus.

Randall

Monday, September 16, 2013 8:29 PM
  • I think we have just hit the nail on the head here.  I too have a Thecus N8800!  I have another Thecus NAS that is a lit newer that i might trying migrating the Protection Groups to
    Monday, September 16, 2013 8:33 PM
  • I haven't found any notice of any kind from or about Thecus systems having any bugs but those boards seem pretty dead when it comes to active, accurate systems troubleshooting etc.

What firmware version do you have running?

Randall

Monday, September 16, 2013 8:37 PM
  • Im just looking now and it appears to be out of date.  Im on 3.02.01 at the moment whilst Thecus site states v5.03.02
    Monday, September 16, 2013 8:40 PM
  • I have 5.03.01 running right now with the problem still present, I will update mine to 5.03.02 and hope for an improvement. So wait to apply yours for a bit and I'll let you know if it works.

I don't believe that the "Firmware" would actually upgrade the iSCSI system, since I don't see any of these issues listed in the release notes, but I'll try.

Randall

Monday, September 16, 2013 8:55 PM
  • Same thing happens with v5.03.02.

I wonder if there any NIC Firmware or if we can replace/add another NIC in those boxes to test?

Randall

Monday, September 16, 2013 9:14 PM
  • I found something of a similar issue related to the numbering of the LUNS from a Thecus Box and a VMWare system where path statements were failing on LUN0.

The errors we have had seem to point to either security of volumes, or maybe even paths. If I get a chance, I'll change the LUN number of one of my iSCSI targets to see if I get any change in behavior with DPM 2012.

reference: http://forum.thecus.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=887

Another related issue I have found has to do with DPM 2012 CU3 that could be a culprit. What version of DPM 2012 patching have you installed to?

http://www.networksteve.com/enterprise/topic.php/Update_Rollup_3_for_System_Center_2012_Service_Pack_1._Cannot_mo/?TopicId=67120&Posts=8

Randall

Monday, September 16, 2013 10:12 PM
  • Im running CU2 at the moment as i have not had time to upgrade to SP1.  Today i setup another NAS box and attempted to migrate the protection groups data.  It failed with the same error code!

It looks like a re-setup of protection groups on the new NAS is the only way forward at the moment?

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:38 PM
  • I had just upgraded from DPM 2010 to 2012 SP1 when this problem showed up. I have a serious belief that there is some sort of limit in connections of number of volumes inside the target between the DPM 2012 software and the iSCSI target software on the Thecus (that wasn't there with DPM 2010). I don't know if Thecus may address it, or if I can even put in a ticket with them since my boxes are out of warranty, but I'll try.

Changing LUN numbering didn't make a difference, and I am not getting error 955 which would indicate a problem with the CU3 update.

Randall

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:36 PM
  • Ok, so i just managed to fix this issue on two of my DPM 2012 setups.  I can now add protection groups and modify them too.

to resolve my version of the error, i un-installed Microsoft Endpoint Protection.  Even though i had a policy applied to the collection through SCCM to set the exclusions for DPM, it must be causing the issues.

Try the fix and let me know how you get on

Monday, September 23, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Did the same thing on mine, and it worked great as well!!!!

What are the odds that you and I would have the same exact software and hardware with the same exact problem and both be working this through MS Technet site!!!!!!

Great find!! Saved me buying "new" boxes and possibly having the same thing happen with them!

Randall

Monday, September 23, 2013 4:50 PM