Windows update hanging, not letting machine shutdown or start RRS feed

• Question

• My kids shutdown my dell laptop, windows 7 updates started updating, stuck at 18 of 21 for more than 12 hours, not giving me control at all, not shutting down any suggestion.
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:20 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 1:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can force restart your PC, then go to control panel\Windows update\view update history, check which update package failed install, manually install this update package.

If the issue occurs, please perform a system restore, then remove some third party tools, perform the update again.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, April 25, 2011 7:13 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:16 AM

All replies

• Define "stuck" in your own terms.

How much ram in the laptop?

Sunday, April 17, 2011 6:47 AM
  • Hi,

You can force restart your PC, then go to control panel\Windows update\view update history, check which update package failed install, manually install this update package.

If the issue occurs, please perform a system restore, then remove some third party tools, perform the update again.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, April 25, 2011 7:13 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:16 AM