Skype for business does not save conversation history RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    This problem affects many users in my organization. Users report that the conversation is not being saved in Outlook. The solution is to remove the SFB client user profiles

%UserProfile%\ AppData\ Local\ Microsoft\ Office\ 16.0\ Lync, but the problem comes back from time to time.

I have not noticed any problems with MAPI or EWS

Skype for Business Server 2015 (CU May 2017)

Exchange Server 2016 (CU5)

How to permanently solve this problem?

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 12:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As it's not affecting everyone, it would suggest this is perhaps a variable on the client side.

Is there a difference in client version between the users that are working and the ones that aren't. Test with the latest client available form the Downloads and Updates Centre. You provided Skype and Exchange versions, but not a client version which is also applicable in to this type of problem.

Secondly, do problem users have an excessive amount of items in their mailboxes? This can cause EWS times-outs similar to when Skype is trying to pull hi-res contact pictures from Exchange but failing. Compare mailbox item sizes between known working and known problematic users to see if there is a trend there. If you find there is a relationship here then the only solution is to reduce the item count.

Kind regards
    Ben

Note: If you find a post informative, please mark it so using the arrow to the left. If it answers a question you've asked, please mark the thread as answered to aid others when they're looking for solutions to similar problems.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:16 AM
    Wednesday, August 23, 2017 1:14 PM
  • Hi caligio,

Agree with BenDonaldson.

As a supplement, you could try the troubleshooting steps below:

1.Would you please tell us how did you check the EWS and MAPI status? Please press Ctrl and right click Lync icon in the taskbar, open configuration information. On the open page check if MAPI status is OK
    2.Please check if the issue occurs on other computer for this use, if not, this should a client issue, I suggest you update both outlook and SFB first
    3.For server side, we suggest you check if there are any event IDs in event viewer

Hope this reply is helpful to you.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:25 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply

All users use the same version Skype for Business 2016 and Outlook 2016 (MSO 16.0.8326.2076 32bit)

Users who have a problem with the conversation history,  do not have many items in their mailbox.

MAPI interface state - valid
    EWS status is OK

Regards

Caligio

Thursday, August 24, 2017 10:29 AM
  • Hello

Does it ask for any exchange credentials?

If the connection between SFB and your exchange is not ok, it will not save conversations

Thursday, August 24, 2017 12:35 PM
  • Hi,

Outlook does not ask for credentials. I haven't noticed any connection problems with Exchange.

The History Spooler  folder (in sip user profiles)contains many .HIST files that are not saved in Outlook.

Regards

Caligio

• Edited by caligio Friday, August 25, 2017 7:51 AM
    Friday, August 25, 2017 7:36 AM
  • Not Outlook, I am referring to Skype

Like below

Friday, August 25, 2017 7:50 AM
  • My mistake, Skype for Business also does not ask for credentials.
    Friday, August 25, 2017 8:44 AM
  • It seems that there is an issue at  monitoring and archiving in Skype for Business.

In my  opinion you should check that implementation of what was done here

Friday, August 25, 2017 8:52 AM
  • Hello,

I have not enabled archiving,

Get-CsArchivingConfiguration

Identity                  : Global
    EnableArchiving           : None
    EnablePurging             : False
    PurgeExportedArchivesOnly : False
    BlockOnArchiveFailure     : False
    KeepArchivingDataForDays  : 14
    PurgeHourOfDay            : 2
    ArchiveDuplicateMessages  : True
    CachePurgingInterval      : 24
    EnableExchangeArchiving   : False

I have noticed that when I deleted the oldest .hist file in "History Spooler", the number of files in the folder started to decrease and it appears in Outlook.

Friday, September 1, 2017 11:58 AM
  • Hi caligio,

Did you check if there are any event errors in SFB application log?

If all users in your environment had this issue, it may be something with the integration between SFB server and Exchange server side, so please check if there are any errors first.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 5:35 AM
  • Hello,

I haven't found any errors in the event log. The problem does not affect all users but only some users.

Most users do not have this problem.

Regards

Caligio

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 12:32 PM
  • Hi caligio,

Thanks for your response.

Because the issue not happen to all users, so we suggest you run the command Get-CsUser in SFB management shell to check user attributes, then compare the attributes between the affected user and other normal users, if any difference, please try to modify it.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Thursday, September 7, 2017 8:11 AM