none
Resource Departments and Team Name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i have a general question on those two field within PWA:

Departments > Resource department

Team Detail > Team Name

Is my understanding correct that i can use on or both to group/split my resource into my companies organizational structure? For example:

When we have in my company the following departments:

- HR

- DEVELOPMENT

Than i could use both fields for assigning a resource to one of these department. In case of using "Resource department" i could use a lookup table.

When i would have

- DEVELOPMENT

- DWH

- WEB

- SALES

- NORTH AMERICA

- EUROPE

Then i could for example use the Resource Department for choosing "Development" or "Sales" department and the Team Name field for the Team (?) "North America" or "Europe" under Sales.

Is my understanding correct?

best regards

Bog

Monday, August 1, 2016 2:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Bog,

Actually the question is: what do you want to achieve with those fields? Those 2 fields (team and department) have a specific role in Project Server:

• Department: it allows you filtering specific configuration for your organisation's departments. For example, you might need that some custom fields, some administrative lines, somes OLAP cubes, some Enterprise Project Types are visible by a specific department. In this case, you use the department field to segregate the configuration (note that it is NOT a security feature). See this article.
    • Team: it allows you creating various teams and splitting the users between those teams. Then you can assign tasks to team and not users. In their timesheet, team's members will be able to pick up the task assigned to his team, so the PM doesn't have to do micro management and the team can self assign tasks. See this article.

That being said, those 2 fields might be used for what you need, but then you won't be able to use them for what they are dedicated to, described above. Thus if you don't want to achieve this, I'd rather suggest to use a dedicated custom field, or maybe the RBS field if you want to implement a security model based on your organisation.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by BOG's Lab Tuesday, August 2, 2016 3:56 PM
    Monday, August 1, 2016 2:47 PM