XP expiration RRS feed

• Question

• concerning WinXP

I have computers running a specific program interfaced to control componets...   The computers are never online..and do not need upgrades ect.

The vendor is telling me I must upgrade because Win XP in no longer avaiable. 

This will involve lots of tax-payer money...

Does the vendor have "downgrade rights"  to build new systems with XP?

can an old machine that needs repair be rebuilt with a new copy of XP...

thank you very much for the info on this....

Paul...

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 4:30 PM

Answers

• I've seen lots of XP machines still out there serving their proprietary purpose.

The XP expiry just means that there are no new security updates available, but all existing updates are still available. If the systems are never online in your network (not just internet) then there is no problem. If you are in need of replacing the equipment, XP should be able to install just fine on it, as long as there is a license available for that machine (If the previous equipment was using an OEM key, then you need a new key. If it is a retail key, you can install it on the new equipment, as long as you remove it from the old equipment.)

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 4:54 PM

All replies

• I've seen lots of XP machines still out there serving their proprietary purpose.

The XP expiry just means that there are no new security updates available, but all existing updates are still available. If the systems are never online in your network (not just internet) then there is no problem. If you are in need of replacing the equipment, XP should be able to install just fine on it, as long as there is a license available for that machine (If the previous equipment was using an OEM key, then you need a new key. If it is a retail key, you can install it on the new equipment, as long as you remove it from the old equipment.)

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 4:54 PM
  • Since this involves taxpayer money, you need to get a legal opinion from the political jurisdiction that owns the computers and runs the commercial product.  The actual answer may depend on the type of contract you have with the vendor.

We can offer advice regarding technical issues.  I doubt if you will find a lawyer crazy enough to offer a formal legal opinion here based only on the scant facts you have presented.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 10:37 PM