IM Conversation History Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I currently have a test csclientpolicy applied to my account with the EnableIMAutoArchiving option set to none. Which means I can turn this off or on via the SfB client manually. I understand when I turn this off or on it writes back to one of the SfB databases and not a registry key. Does anyone know which database this is and which table?

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 2:04 PM

Answers

• I think Richard actually has a write-up on this: http://masteringlync.com/2013/11/11/the-imautoarchiving-flag/

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, March 26, 2018 10:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Blue_man2 Friday, April 20, 2018 10:07 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 4:11 PM

All replies

• It's buried in an XML mess in the user area, I could look it up but wouldn't try to edit it.  Why not just let the policy handle this?  

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 9:24 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, the conversation history is stored in Lcslog database.

More information, please refer to the article below
    http://lyncdude.com/2014/12/31/understand-lync-databases/index.html

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, March 22, 2018 5:14 AM
  • It's buried in an XML mess in the user area, I could look it up but wouldn't try to edit it.  Why not just let the policy handle this?  

Because we want this enabled by default, but then the user to choose if they want to turn this off. We currently have this feature disabled, but when I have tested setting the policy to none and then applying it to a user, sometimes that option is un-ticked. We want this option to always be initially ticked, but allow the user to be able to un-tick this option.
    • Edited by Blue_man2 Thursday, March 22, 2018 12:40 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 11:38 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, the conversation history is stored in Lcslog database.

More information, please refer to the article below
    http://lyncdude.com/2014/12/31/understand-lync-databases/index.html

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

It contains archived information, but doesn't seem to have any specific settings relating to if the user has the Save IM conversations in my email Conversation History folder ticked or un-ticked.
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 11:44 AM
  • It is not stored in the LCSLog database, that is for IM archiving, which is different from conversation history.  Hold on, I'll look up the db.

Thursday, March 22, 2018 3:47 PM
  • I think Richard actually has a write-up on this: http://masteringlync.com/2013/11/11/the-imautoarchiving-flag/

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, March 26, 2018 10:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Blue_man2 Friday, April 20, 2018 10:07 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 4:11 PM
  • Thanks I have read that article the other day. It obviously references the Standard version, which backend database in an SfB enterprise environment holds this xml data? I have had a look and one of the DBA's has had a look and we cannot find it.
    • Edited by Blue_man2 Monday, March 26, 2018 9:22 PM
    Monday, March 26, 2018 9:21 PM