Vista Won install- get a lovely black screen with white cursor followed by an error RRS feed

• Question

• to be brief, i tried installing ubuntu. to see what all the hype was about. obviously, i failed, must have installed wrong somehow and my windows XP went to ____. Saying it had to recover registry stuff from previous logs. then my computer pretty much kept crashing.

I made amends with this and decided to just reformat and re-install XP like i had done many times in the past. Well XP wouldn't install. After i created a partition on the drive, it tried loading the files from the disk and got to about 15% before it started giving me errors saying it could load them. I skipped all the ones it couldn't load (there were A LOT) and just tried to trudge on for no avail. (obviously xp needed the files to run the install). so now im unable to install XP on my machine, yay. at my university i was able to get vista ultimate with the upgrade to 7. woo, except vista does not install either. it takes forever to get the white loading bar across the bottom of the screen, then it will take another step and load the vista loading bars like its getting ready to send me the next page where i can choose language etc but it never gets that far, it just comes up as a black screen with a white mouse cursor. after i leave it there for some time it gives me an error saying some hardware / software change is causing a problem. i dont have that much connected to my computer and my drive is formatted. i dont know what hardware change could have affected this but...i want my computer back :(

any ideas guys/gals? im thinking something is effed up with my mobo, but thats just my lack of any other possibility. (ASUS A8N SLI). maybe my cd drive? i dunno im really pretty worn and taking shots in the dark here. any ideas to get my rig up and running again would be greatly appreciated!
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 1:44 AM

All replies

• Hi, If you have no important data on harddisk Erase it with Darik boot and nuke. downloaded link

http://download.cnet.com/Darik-s-Boot-and-Nuke-for-CD-and-DVD/3000-2094_4-10151762.html 

Now burn to cd. Take off from computer any external harddisks and usb sticks first. Restart computer boot to Darik's cd. Choose the harddisk you want to wiped. Hit F10 to start. Could take up to 2 hours or more depending on size of harddisk. When finished restart your installion of the Vista. Slan go foill, Paul  
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:25 PM
  • Hi,

I just got a brand New hard Drive. Still. the vista disk loads, the white bar at the bottom comes up. completes, then the vista loading bars come up and thats the last i see other than the blank screen with the white cursor that i can move around.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 9:58 PM