Outlook 2016 Message Preview RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user that would like the message preview to go away for read messages but still be there for unread message.  The only option I've been able to find so far is how many lines to show.  Is there a way to make this happen with a custom view or conditional formatting?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, December 28, 2015 3:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you want Outlook to turn on/off the message preview according to the read/unread status, I'm afraid this is not possible.

The only method I can come up with is to create a Search Folder for unread emails and then disable Message Preview for all Mailbox and turn on it for the Search Folder. However, this will need you to view unread emails in the Search Folder.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 6:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you want Outlook to turn on/off the message preview according to the read/unread status, I'm afraid this is not possible.

The only method I can come up with is to create a Search Folder for unread emails and then disable Message Preview for all Mailbox and turn on it for the Search Folder. However, this will need you to view unread emails in the Search Folder.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 6:04 AM
  • Sadly, this feature was removed in Outlook 2013 and 2016. If you want to encourage Microsoft to bring this feature back, then please vote for it at the Microsoft Outlook suggestion site here: https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/322590-outlook-2016-for-windows/suggestions/11377068-bring-back-the-show-autopreview-only-for-unread-m

Justin Grant

Monday, March 6, 2017 8:42 PM
  • Hi,

If your office version is 16.0.4498.100 or upper this, your problem solved.

Please update you office.

Future is mine! ^_^

Thursday, June 15, 2017 4:39 AM
  • Hi Sadegh Sadeghpour - I'm running 16.0.8201.2102 but I'm not seeing any indication that Outlook can hide auto-preview for read messages. Are you sure that this feature has been added?  If yes, could you post instructions and/or a screenshot for how to turn on the "message preview for unread only" feature in Outlook 2016?  And a screenshot showing this restored feature in action?  

Thanks, 
    Justin

Justin Grant

Thursday, June 15, 2017 5:00 PM