none
rammap command line RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been using RAMMAP to clear away memory to prevent Large Scaled 3d Rendering Scenes from crashing.

Is there a way to run all 5 empty memories via command line?

I would like a way to have a bat file for this,

furthermore If I can have it automated when ram usage is rather full I use Blender alot and many times it just doesnt really clean memory and have seen crashes happen if I dont empty memories!

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 2:44 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately there isn't but this is a great suggestion so I've added it to the backlog.

Regards

MarkC (MSFT)

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 4:12 PM
  • Hi Markc

would you able to add inside the app a button to empty all 5 on program startup. also a button to empty all 5 interactively 

and maybe some sort of automatic mode?

regards

Friday, January 25, 2019 12:36 AM
  • Instead of doing on demand, try using a regular interval.

i know you guys at Microsoft try and be too smart about something like the new 'improved'

way the memory mapper works and such, but really ?

I switched off the fast cache and stuff, and now i can Alt-Tab at max speed,

with only a periodic clearing of the standby memory and such..

So..yeah, if that were to happen automatically, I'd say go interval,

not auto-calc stuff and such, because we don't want another 'improvement' like the new memory mapper..

It's nice to want to cache using unused memory, but in that case I'd

stick to the File allocation tables and such, and only use a fixed cache for foreground apps only.

Why ? well, if the processor load is under a certain threshold, and the disk is otherwise not being used,

you can keep tabs on what the app is requesting a lot, but otherwise, the main app or game you're playing

should not suffer these 'improvements', hence me switching that off altogether.

FYI, my comp is just a lowly AMD A10--Apu, with 16GB's of memory,

but can handle 3 games simultaneously (3D games, one online MMORPG, steam's Stranded Deep,

and a 3D avatar chat thing in a multimonitor setting) without stuttering or low framerate on Win 10.

(And don't get me started on the layout of Win 10, because, wow, talk about making something that

used to be simple so complicated, it's like every car has a certain place for things, like handbrakes,

steering wheel, and such, but now ? steering in the trunk, with a label Accesories..)

It makes no sense whatsoever.

I had to make my own links to all and create a pseudo Computer Panel, just to avoid clicking

on something and going wrong, finding that same 'choice' and taing the wrong direction again.

See what you did there ?..(^^)..not ur fault..

Anyways, RAMmap needs some console options, so a maintainance task can be created to

do a freeing of the memory like once every hour or so, on my machine.

Despite people warning against switching the various services off, I did, and got exactly what I wanted.

An Alt-Tab function that works instantly, instead of needing to wait for the tab to load each and every time.

And at all the cost of clicking three things once per 2-3 hours, in 2 seconds..

Now it works for me, despite getting a memory error once every few days, if I forget to do the

'manual maintainance''..

I even tested this with runnign 4 3D apps, fairly recent ones, and 40 firefox frames open.

Average waiting time from each screen to each other screen, switching from all 4 3D apps to a

random firefox frame, less then 0.1 seconds..

before using RAMMap and switching the cachings off, that was like 5-10 seconds before full

restoration of the APPs..

Max memory laod for all 4 app's was like 12.5 GB, maintaining stability overnight on all 4.

People should appreciate cheap computing from AMD a whole bunch more, and invest in some

time expanding their knowledge of it, it's much under appreciated.

Note: When using an APU by AMD, make sure to use fast memory like 1800Mhz or higher, that makes a big fat difference.

(trinity quad core A10-5800K are fine. they're cheap and when used properly will get you there..)

(total system cost $200)

The future of comps will be on-die machines with embedded VD's on-die 64GB memory running at L1 speeds.

With SSD technology embedded also for the intitial 'slow load'.

Peripherals would be large regular SATA drive for large storage.

It would be awesome using APU like setups for <64Gb games, loading at speeds,

well, unheard off even now.

By that time people will start yammering about the initial 2seconds extra it takes to fill

the 64GB VD.

But the nice thing would be, it's all backwards compatible, since it all still works much the same way.

Although blazing fast, the virtual HD would stil just be like a regular HD.

The internal graphics component  could run at least 5 times faster then it's contemporaries.

And caching would be almost nonsense, since all memory would already be at max speed,

instantly available.but maybe by that time the games would be larger still.

• Edited by ZMacZ Wednesday, July 17, 2019 11:47 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 11:08 AM