none
Newbie Question - Project Standard RRS feed

• Question

• I am totally new to Microsoft project. I have a client with the following scenario:

My client is a contractor who does projects for school districts. they want to set it up so that a contact person at each school district can log on to see the progress of each project for their district.

Does each school district have to have their own copy of the software to access this information or can they log on to my clients copy through the internet ?

Steven Schuyler Berkeley, California USA

Monday, October 22, 2012 4:55 PM

All replies

• Steven --

To get an absolutely definitive answer, I recommend that you talk with the Microsoft rep for the school district about software licensing issues.  However, I do believe you will need a licensed copy of Microsoft Project for each district.  Or the alternative is to purchase a copy of project viewer software for each school district, such as the Steelray product, for example:

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Monday, October 22, 2012 5:23 PM
  • Steven, these contacts wouldn't need to edit the project, would they? Why not just publish one or more pdf views of the project status to a convenient web site. Not only cheaper, but more secure.

Graham

Monday, October 22, 2012 9:10 PM
  • Hello Steven,

There are a number of ways on how to solve this need.

One would be, as Dale suggested, to get in touch with a Microsoft representative to build a solution that probably could involved something called External Connector that allows you to support users outside your Active Directory. This means you need the users to login and interact with data from Project Server.

Another solution that I created for one client, is to use SQL Server Reporting Services to create specific reports on projects and distribute them electronically (PDFs most of the time) by email. This is a HUGHE money server if you  only want those individuals to be informed on project status.

Best Regards,

Rene Alvarez

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 5:34 PM