none
Project Server 2010 - Feb 2012 CU - Queue Service and Event Service disabled RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

this is similar to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/582885ea-c55e-41be-8ffc-65cbb789fd47 but I'm opening a new thread because it concerns a different CU and is not resolved with the proposed solution.

After installing Feb 2012 CU (kb2597152), the project server services (event and queue) are going to disabled state every hour. We can change them to Automatic, start them succesfuly, but after I hour their start type is reverted to disabled again. Stopping and Starting the Project Application Service from CA did not fix the problem.

Logs in the Event Viewer do not show anything apart from "the service start type has been changed to disabled", which is not very helpful.

The very same issue occurs to two different farms (one with 1 web front end and 1 SQL, and the second farm with 2 WFE and 1 SQL)

Has anyone found a solution for this?

• Edited by spyrosnb Friday, May 4, 2012 8:18 AM
    Friday, May 4, 2012 8:15 AM

All replies

• I've seen the same issue on my Project Server demo virtual machine. I've disabled hourly Health Analysis jobs in Central Admin that seemed to the be culprit. I'm following up internally as well. Can you please tell us more about your infrastructure/farm architecture?

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Friday, May 4, 2012 5:47 PM
  • Hi Christophe,

Both our farms are VM based (VMWare):

1) Two machines: one web front end/app server , one SQL

2) Four machines: one app server (central admin), two web front ends, one sql 

Update: Here is how we managed to fix the issue:

Initially the problem was that the services could not start (even manually) due to timeout. Probably the CU increases the startup time of the Project Server services, therefore causing a timeout. We had to create the following registry keys in the Application Server order to increase the wait timeout and allow the windows services the necessary time to boot:

1.  Find the key  "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control" and add/modify the following values:

i.ServicesPipeTimeout   (DWORD )  ==> Value: 60000  (decimal)

ii. WaitToKillServiceTimeout (STRING) ==> Value:  120000

2. Reboot server

After that, the services could be started manually, but the Health Analyzer kept disabling them every hour. Restarting the Project Application Service from Central Admin did not help. At the time of disabling, the logs in the ULS mentioned that health analyzer attempted to repair a "Service not Started" problem. What we had to do was:

1) let the health analyzer disable the service

2) Set the windows services to automatic startup WITHOUT starting them

3) Stop and Start project application service from Central Administration (Manage Services in Farm)

After starting the project application service, the windows services where started automatically.

I hope this will help you figuring out the problem.

• Edited by spyrosnb Monday, May 7, 2012 11:25 AM resolved problem
    Monday, May 7, 2012 11:24 AM
  • great thanks

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Monday, May 7, 2012 10:41 PM
  • Hi Christophe,

this issue has started occurring on my Demo machine virtualised on a Laptop as well. Some more indications:

1. The machine is a Domain Controller (and SQL and SharePoint) due to being a Demo VM.
    2. Patch level is SP1 + CU 04/2012. There is no internet connection.
    3. Manually starting the 2 Project Server services resulted in Error 1053. After doing the listed registry changes, the services could be started properly again.
    4. Both services went back to Disabled every hour.
    5. There is an hourly health rule which checks for stopped services, and it is set to Auto-Repair = Yes.
    6. Setting it to Auto Repair = No fixed the issue, both Project Server services run without stopping again.

King regards,
    Adrian

Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:02 PM
  • Thanks Adrian

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:51 AM
  • There seem to be a few different reasons this can happen, but one underlying reason is that the services as registered in the config DB get set as disabled - so that is why when the health analyzer runs it sets the actual service to disabled too.  One cause for the setting of the values in the config db to disabled is if the password stored for the managed accounts used for the services was not correct when a psconfig was run - perhaps after patching with SP or CU.  Some of the workarounds will stop the disabling of these services but may also stop other valid actions - so best to get to the root cause.  In the case of the setting of disabled in the config db there are some stsadm and PowerShell commands that can be used to reset the value to enabled - which avoids the health analyzer shutting down these services.  If you need help setting these values back to enabled then please open a support incident. I will investigate if it makes sense to publish these on my blog - so stay tuned.

Best regards,

Brian.

Friday, May 18, 2012 3:51 PM
    Owner
  • Hi ,

I am facing same problem .

I already done registry update as mentioned above . But the issue is not solved yet. 

Queue Service and Event Service disabled and could not start even manually, its giving error 1053 when am trying to start each time.

Could you please help me .

Iqbal kmk

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:06 AM
  • Hi Iqbal,

If your issue is still not resolved, this Brian Smith's new article could help you.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectsupport/archive/2012/12/26/project-server-2010-my-queue-service-keeps-getting-disabled.aspx

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 5:56 PM