Logon / Logoff behavior after locking workstation. RRS feed

• Question

• Logon / Logoff behavior after locking workstation.

Is it possible to change the logon rights after a user has locked his workstation? Default XP is that only an Administrator or the logged in user can unlock the workstation. With unlock I mean Logoff the locked (logged in user) and login the new computer user with is no admin.

Situation: 

I'm working on a (Flex Workstation) I walk away and the station is locked after 10min. A colleague needs the workstation but cant use it because he has not the rights to log my session out. The workstation now needs to shutdown en restart before it can be used.

Kindest regards,

Tim

Monday, August 1, 2011 1:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Tim,

You could modify your group policy to automatically log out the NT/CurrentUser instead of locking workstation.

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
    Monday, August 1, 2011 5:16 PM
  • Hello Martin,

You mean with the winexit.scr screensaver? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314999That should be an option indeed.

• Marked as answer by Tim NL Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:37 AM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Tim,

Not to my knowledge.  The only way would be to make both of you Administrators.

A work-around could be to use Fast User Switching.  This way, a user could lock his session, and allow other to use their logins at the same time.

Or you could just tell each other your passwords!  The security effect is virtually the same:  By giving someone the right to unlock your session, you give them full access to your documents, emails, etc., so you may as well just give them the password.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Monday, August 1, 2011 2:06 PM
  • Hi Tim,

You could modify your group policy to automatically log out the NT/CurrentUser instead of locking workstation.

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
    Monday, August 1, 2011 5:16 PM
  • Hello Bigteddy,

It's not my session that has to be takeover. I meant that a other user then the admin has the rights to logoff my session and log in this own session with his own username and password.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:04 AM
  • Yes, I understand.  Then see Martin's answer.  There is no way that once a session is locked, that it can be unlocked by anyone else except the owner or the administrator.

So Martin's suggestion is a good one (I would have proposed it as an answer if he hadn't already ;-).  Instead of having your user sessions lock out, have them log out.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:14 AM
  • Hello Martin,

You mean with the winexit.scr screensaver? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314999That should be an option indeed.

• Marked as answer by Tim NL Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:37 AM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:24 AM
  • Tim, did you manage to find the winexit.scr screensaver in the Windows 2000 Resource Kit?

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:48 AM
  • Yes I did. It seems to be a sort of workaround. I discuss this with our design team. They may decide if this is what they want :)

Tnx for your quick response.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:06 AM