Looking for a best scenario to upgrade MDT server. RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old Dell T410 server with limited storage. My division has a new T440 that I can use as a new MDT server.

The old one has Server2012 where the new one will have 2016.

They are thinking that just manually copying folders over from one to the other will get me going, but I know step 1 will be installing MDT. Then, I won't have any Deploy Shares at all, or driver structures.

Am I looking at having to rebuild my entire MDT? That would seem like a nightmare with all of the minute steps and conditions and exceptions.....

What's the easiest method to get a new MDT server going if upgrading models of the server?

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 1:49 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Inorder to use upgraded MDT in another newly created server. It's best to Copy the entire Deploymentshare directories by zipped them and move it to new server. In this way you can't loose anything. Before proceeding with this make sure to keep BackUp DS.

In New MDT server you need to only take care of Rules Tab, where you have to change the SharePath. As well don't forget to update Deploymentshare 

Based on your analysis if you don't have much Data, then you can recreate the entire structure. 

• Edited by JiteshKumar Tuesday, September 10, 2019 3:38 PM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 3:34 PM
  • I have tons of data. My concern is, when I install MDT onto the new server, how do I get all of my driver folders into the Out-Of-Box folder and all of my Applications into that folder and all of my Task Seq's into that folder, for the deploy, build….all of that. It seems horribly daunting.
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 3:58 PM
  • When you will open the DeploymentShare in Server, It will be in same place as Old DS.  
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 3:25 AM
  • So simply installing MDT on a fresh OS will automatically have everything appear as it did on the old one?

I'm still going to need to get those Tasks in there and drivers. I don't even know where physically on the server the driver folders are stored.

I'm not doing a backup/restore, I'm merely copying folders over from one to the other, manually.

• Edited by the1rickster Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:13 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:13 PM
  • So simply installing MDT on a fresh OS will automatically have everything appear as it did on the old one

>>No, After installing the MDT on New Server, You should have BackUp DS from Old server. If you will Open the Deployment Share then only everything will be appeared.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:33 AM
  • I guess my post here is to find out the best method to backup and reattach my DS.

Normally I use Acronis to do a full server backup but that won't work in this case, since the OS will be different (2012 -->2016) with different drivers on the server.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 12:12 PM