No Windows Server Performance Data - SCOM 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

There is no (apart from a few % data) performance data being presented in the scom 2012 R2 > Microsoft Windows Server > Performance view. (See attached)

Is this another bug or something is broken?
    Most of my fleet is 2012R2 and a few 2008R2.

Any assistance will be appreciated. 

Saiyad Rahim

• Edited by Saiyad Friday, May 25, 2018 10:02 PM insert attachement
    Friday, May 25, 2018 9:56 PM

Answers

• Hi There,

Here we few things which we need to check.

• Is the rule enabled for this server and disk
    • Is the performance counter is good on server or do we need to rebuild
    • Is DB gave data for the same ( DB collecting the data ) other words Client is sending data to MS 

To fix this first visit THIS LINK

Now to check whether DW has data for this server and disk, please run the query given on THIS LINK

Or in the last just go through THIS LINK here i have given some help to other one, who had similar problem earlier

Cheers, Gourav Please remember to mark the replies as answers if it helped.

Saturday, May 26, 2018 3:10 AM

All replies

• Hi There,

Here we few things which we need to check.

• Is the rule enabled for this server and disk
    • Is the performance counter is good on server or do we need to rebuild
    • Is DB gave data for the same ( DB collecting the data ) other words Client is sending data to MS 

To fix this first visit THIS LINK

Now to check whether DW has data for this server and disk, please run the query given on THIS LINK

Or in the last just go through THIS LINK here i have given some help to other one, who had similar problem earlier

Saturday, May 26, 2018 3:10 AM
  • Hi Saiyad,

As GouravIN mentioned, the performance counters are not collected by default. This is by design.

You'll need to enable the rule to collect the data so it can be displayed.

SCOM 2012 – Empty Graphs in Windows Server Performance Dashboards?

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/nicole_welch/2015/10/scom-2012-empty-graphs-in-windows-server-performance-dashboards/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 28, 2018 6:20 AM
  • Hi Gourav,

I have just started working on the now.

Will keep you posted on how i go.

Thanks for your advice.

Saiyad Rahim

Thursday, June 7, 2018 12:27 AM
  • Hi Gourav,

Now if I go under Monitoring > Microsoft Windows Server > Performance view choose a server, can see performance graphs.

But, if i am in alerts view, do a right click > Performance View - I can not get any performance graph. Doesn't matter what component i choose it stays blank.

Am I missing something or is there an issue here?

Saiyad Rahim

Tuesday, August 28, 2018 1:37 AM
  • 1) would you mind to provide screen
    2) As far as i know,  in alerts view, do a right click > Performance View, it will displays all performance rule which target to alert source.
    Roger
    Tuesday, August 28, 2018 2:13 AM
  • As Roger said if you select alert tab then you will get information about Rule/Monitor. 

But, if i am in alerts view, do a right click > Performance View - I can not get any performance graph. Doesn't matter what component i choose it stays blank.

You can get report by going Reports or Performance view as well as querying DB and DW.

Tuesday, August 28, 2018 5:31 AM
  • No performance data when i choose "any" of the metrics:

Saiyad Rahim

Friday, August 31, 2018 2:41 AM
  • Hi Saiyad,

This alert is triggered by monitor and you are trying to see the performance data this monitor using alert window. But unfortunately monitor does not store any data only rule has ability to store data due to that you are not able to view anything here. But you can view these data in other tab since there are rule integrated with this monitor.

As far as i know :)

Friday, August 31, 2018 2:57 AM
  • Hi Gourav,

so what is the purpose of the Performance TAb in the Alerts View?

How do I get my Level One's to look at the performance of an object from the alerts when they receive such alerts for Memory or CPU?

Regrads

SR

Saiyad Rahim

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 11:03 PM
  • Saiyad,

This is made for the alert which are triggered using Rules , i guess. As we all know rule has the capability to collect data wherein Monitor do not have this nature. So what is happening here you are trying to check performance graph for an alert which is triggered by monitor hence it do not have anything to show. But if this alert triggered with Rule then you could see the performance graph.

Not question is your mind, i guess 

Then how you can see data under performance tab for this monitor.

So when you select this monitor there are a rule bind with it to collect and send data to DB/DW. And when it matches XML and generate alert from that time only monitor work from here. 

Hope this helps :)

• Edited by GouravIN Thursday, September 13, 2018 6:33 AM
    Thursday, September 13, 2018 6:32 AM
  • Please confirm if performance insertions are occurring:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2016/11/11/scom-sql-queries/

select Distinct Path,
     ObjectName,
      CounterName,
      InstanceName
    from PerformanceDataAllView pdv with (NOLOCK)
    inner join PerformanceCounterView pcv on pdv.performancesourceinternalid = pcv.performancesourceinternalid
    inner join BaseManagedEntity bme on pcv.ManagedEntityId = bme.BaseManagedEntityId
    where path = 'hostname of server with agent installed'
    order by objectname, countername, InstanceName

The query should return rows of information about performance insertions into the DB from the various perfmon counters (logicaldisk for example).

If there are no or only a few rows, flush the cache of the agent.

Try and rebuild the permon counters using:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2554336/how-to-manually-rebuild-performance-counters-for-windows-server-2008-6

Then retry the SQL statement.

This worked for me when a Server 2012 VM was only returning cpu and health service information and no information on logicaldisk.

Friday, September 14, 2018 9:19 AM
  • Hi Gourav,

Now if I go under Monitoring > Microsoft Windows Server > Performance view choose a server, can see performance graphs.

Am I missing something or is there an issue here?

Saiyad Rahim

Hi Doju, 

He can see performance graph however the question is quite differ here. Due to that i have written the above answer.

He can see but question is quite differ here

Friday, September 14, 2018 11:53 AM
  • Hi Gourav,

Slightly confused here.

if an alert like the one i mentioned in the pic above occurs, what am i  supposed to do?

How do I get the current graph for Memory or CPU without going into Reports?

Regards
    SR

Saiyad Rahim

Friday, September 21, 2018 12:04 AM
  • Either search for the monitor in Health explorer or go to reports and apply the counter and computer/object in report page.

Or if you are fancy to do this without clicking on the console then write a query for DB or  DW.

Sunday, September 23, 2018 6:17 AM
  • Hi Saiyad,

were the replied of Gourav helpful? Did you manage to get the information needed? 

May I ask you to mark the answers, which helped you?

Appreciate the feedback and thanks in advance for it!

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Monday, October 22, 2018 10:14 AM
  • Not resolved unfortunately.

As a monitoring tool, my service desk should be able to see graphs from a alert whether it be from a rule , Monitor, Mars or Venus.

The fact that you have to leave the alert console and start clicking around to get to a performance graph is just .....a waste of time.

But this can be closed since SCOM can not to show Performance Graph on demand.

Saiyad Rahim

Thursday, December 13, 2018 2:24 AM
  • I have to agree, SCOM's built-in data visualization is not very effective and intuitive, but for the same reason you have some other great dashboard solutions like Squared Up that do this for you. You can check them out.

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) Blog:AnalyticOps Insights Twitter:Sameer Mhaisekar

Thursday, December 13, 2018 6:49 AM
  • Even though I will agree that SCOM UI is entirely outdated and badly needs improvement, you very much can see performance graph by opening performance view from an alert. 

As other previously said, in your case you have an issue with collecting this data which needs to be resolved.

Actually the simple fact there is a line with the counter name but no data when you check it shows it used to work, otherwise you wouldn't even have that line.

• Edited by CyrAz Thursday, December 13, 2018 7:27 AM
    Thursday, December 13, 2018 7:22 AM

• As a monitoring tool, my service desk should be able to see graphs from a alert whether it be from a rule , Monitor, Mars or Venus.

Not sure, why your service desk team need to check performance graph for every alert. SCOM do not create false alert iff only given condition matches and we could say if threshold breaches then only we have alert on console.

So there is no requirement to check Perf graph on every alert.

If you want to want to see the exact threshold in alert then you could also create your custom alert rule/monitor with custom description etc.  However for this solution you should know a bit about MP authoring.

Keeping myself at your place, 

You could also assign a reader role on perf views to your team to check the graph. 

• Edited by GouravIN Thursday, December 13, 2018 7:57 AM
    Thursday, December 13, 2018 7:56 AM
  • He didn't say "every" alert, but that's very common to need to check perf graph when troublehsooting an incident... 
    • Edited by CyrAz Friday, December 14, 2018 7:13 AM
    Thursday, December 13, 2018 8:23 AM
  • Hi Gourav,

As CyrAz stated, the Service Desk are required to look at the performance graph for the performance alerts they receive.

this is not for all servers/objects.

they are required to look at the CPU , RAM  or Disk usage and report that in the case notes.

Regards

SR

Saiyad Rahim

Friday, December 14, 2018 2:56 AM
  • ok, will look into this issue.

Thanks.

Saiyad Rahim

Friday, December 14, 2018 2:57 AM
  • Hi Sam,

yes i am using squared up v3 and plan to go to v4 soon.

it has much better graphs but i see that the units being represented for some of the graphs are terrible.

most of the time it will show in u = micro sec or units with a "K" etc.

investigating a low memory issue on a SQL box caused some confusion when the DBA and I could not understand the unit the graph was showing.

Even service desk scratch their heads when they see graph for Memory / Available MBytes is 1.79k, min = 1.33k, max = 1.86k etc. 

now i understand that Squared up graphs pull data directly from SCOM database without adding smarts to the data for easy representation.

But still prefer to use Squared up more that SCOM console.

Saiyad Rahim

Friday, December 14, 2018 3:11 AM
  • Hi Gourav,

As CyrAz stated, the Service Desk are required to look at the performance graph for the performance alerts they receive.

this is not for all servers/objects.

they are required to look at the CPU , RAM  or Disk usage and report that in the case notes.

Regards

SR

Saiyad Rahim

If this is the issue then you could create a custom rule/monitor with counter value in alert description.

Or either provide role base access to your team to check this information or go with squaredup's solution.

Friday, December 14, 2018 5:39 AM
  • >>most of the time it will show in u = micro sec or units with a "K" etc.<<

Ok, maybe it's just me but what's wrong with that?

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) Blog:AnalyticOps Insights Twitter:Sameer Mhaisekar

Friday, December 14, 2018 8:00 AM
  • Hi Saiyad,

were you able to resolve this one? Really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Friday, December 28, 2018 8:42 PM
  • Haven't heard back from my DBA's.
    will follow up and get to you all.

Saiyad Rahim

Thursday, January 3, 2019 11:50 PM
  • Hi Saiyad,

any news?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Saturday, February 9, 2019 8:22 PM
  • My DBA's stated that they will work on this later as they are busy with Projects while SCOM has too much overhead to make it work.

My Technical team have started using PRTG Monitor for performance issues in the environment.

Saiyad Rahim

Thursday, February 28, 2019 8:40 AM