SQL Always ON High Availability RRS feed

• Question

• I need help on SQL Always ON setup for SharePoint 2013.As of now i had one complete setup of SharePoint Server as frontend and SQL Servers as backend (With SQL Always ON enabled)

Setup Details:

Following Servers are On-PREM Hyper-V VM's with Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard OS.

Frontend SharePoint Web Server - SharePoint Server 2013 installed.

Backend DB Server 1 - Primary DB Server at the time of SharePoint installation - SQL Server 2012 installed
    Backend DB Server 2 - Secondary DB Server at the time of SharePoint installation - SQL Server 2012 installed

Above servers are joined to domain which are managed by AD/DNS Server.

Windows Failover Cluster has been created with two SQL Servers added to it and Always ON AG is enabled for this cluster.

Availability group is created in above DB Server 1 and configured with AG-Listener with dns name and IP in the same subnet of SQL servers.
    Then this Listener DNS name is given as DB Server name while installing SharePoint on SharePoint Server.
    Then Sharepoint created all Databases in Primary SQL Server.
    Then I added those SharePoint databases to that Availability group and by that all DB's are get synchronized to Second SQL Servers too.
    Then I have done manual failover on availability group and made Primary DB as secondary and vice-versa

Issue is - SharePoint Web app is unable to receive data from second DB server(Which is primary now after manual failover) and throwing error.

As I stuck at above issue I need help on that and guide me if am wrong somewhere and also the sequence which I have followed.

Thanks,

Sudharsan S.

Mail - sudharsan.srinivasan@sysgain.com

Monday, May 8, 2017 9:14 AM

All replies

• First you need to show us the error that would give us clue what may be wrong and where. Is application connecting via listener ? Have you pinged listener and done telnet on the port it is configured to listen

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, May 8, 2017 9:25 AM
  • What is the state of the databases on the now active server? Do they read synchronized, resolving?

Did you configure SharePoint to access the listener?

Monday, May 8, 2017 5:44 PM
  • Hi Sudharsan S.,

>>SharePoint Web app is unable to receive data from second DB server(Which is primary now after manual failover) and throwing error.

Could you please post the error message you are seeing so we could have a better understanding about the issue? Also, were you able to connect to your AG via Listener with SSMS after failover?

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 3:09 AM
  • @Shanky_621 Yes I have pinged listener.Am able to get reply from listener.

SharePoint web app throwing "Runtime Error" at browser when Secondary DB Server has changed to Primary DB Server after manual failover.

I have done manual failover just to check whether SharePoint web app is able to retrieve data from DB's.

Which error message I need to share with you? SQL DB Servers haven't thrown errors I guess only the SharePoint.

After long fight we have found one way that we should give failover secondary DB Server name under "Manage Content Databases in SharePoint admin site. So by that SharePoint web app can get data from any of the Primary or Secondary replica after failover.

Is that the Correct way? Will Availability group not take care of switching between Primary and Secondary and will not serve when SharePoint app asks data?Am not sure.

Thanks,

Sudharsan S

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 6:20 AM
  • @Hilary Cotter

Yes all DB's are synchronized as I selected "Synchronous Commit Mode".

Yes listener DNS name is given as Database Server name while installing SharePoint.

By that SharePoint created all DB's in Primary SQL Server and then I added all DB's to Availability group and all DB's are synchronized to Secondary SQL Server too.

Thanks,

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 6:25 AM
  • @Lin Leng

Sometimes "Runtime Exceptional error" and sometime "500 Internal Server Error" in browser when am trying to access SharePoint Web Site after manual failover of Availbility group.

Yes I able connect to AG Listener through SSMS which is showing me all Databases Created by SharePoint at the time of installation.

After long fight we have found one way that we should give failover secondary DB Server name under "Manage Content Databases in SharePoint admin site. So by that SharePoint web app can get data from any of the Primary or Secondary replica after failover.

Is that the Correct way? Will Availability group not take care of switching between Primary and Secondary and will not serve when SharePoint app asks data?Am not sure.

Thanks,

Sudharsan S

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 6:36 AM
  • sudharsan your question is related to Sharepoint it seems I dont know much about it so I will pass. It seems like you have found out the solution which is good.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:21 AM