Event 3036: csc and iehistory URLs RRS feed

• Question

• I've been seeing instances of Event 3036 from Search that reference csc and iehistory URLs that cannot be accessed.  An example would be "The content source <iehistory://{S-1-5-21-xxxxxxx-yyyyyyyy-zzzzz-1112}/>   The HRESULT error code is 0x80004005, which translates to "unspecified error".

Other posts indicate that such instances of Event 3036 are benign and can be ignored, but I'd like to know, what are these URLs and can they be accessed manually?

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:47 PM

Answers

• I'm afraid that the answer is no. Maybe some third party utility has this ability.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by sejong Friday, September 24, 2010 10:12 AM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 6:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

Based on my research, the following information can explain why you get access denied:

Symptoms

Windows Search fails to index for all users.

Event ID 3036 Windows Search Service

The content source <otfs://{s-1-5-21-1220945662-1592454029-682003330-757995}/p/my documents/> cannot be accessed.  Context:  Application, SystemIndex Catalog  Details:        The protocol handler cannot be found. Check that the handler has been installed.   (0x80040d1a)

Cause

Group policy was pushing out script that added the following value

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\CurrentPolicies\PreventUnwantedAddins]               

{5645c8c2-e277-11cf-8fda-00aa00a14f93}="{5645c8c2-e277-11cf-8fda-00aa00a14f93}"    

{a373f3d4-7b87-11d3-b1c1-00c04f68155c}="{a373f3d4-7b87-11d3-b1c1-00c04f68155c}" 

{c1243ca0-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}="{c1243ca0-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"               

{c3278e90-bea7-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}="{c3278e90-bea7-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"            

{e0ca5340-4534-11cf-b952-00aa0051fe20}="{e0ca5340-4534-11cf-b952-00aa0051fe20}" 

{f07f3920-7b8c-11cf-9be8-00aa004b9986}="{f07f3920-7b8c-11cf-9be8-00aa004b9986}"

The PreventUnwantedAddins policy setting should not be used. Setting this policy incorrectly prevents the protocal handler from loading.

Resolution

Remove the PreventUnwantedAddins policy setting from the GPO

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:28 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.  I don't think the information you posted answers my question though.  I was asking what the csc and iehistory URLs referenced in Event 3036 are, and if they can be accessed manually.

However, I did check if Group Policy was preventing a protocol handler from loading, as you suggested.  In my case, I did not find any Windows Search (or Search) GPOs in default domain policy (the computer in question is a domain member), nor did I find the registry value that you mentioned.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:40 PM
  • Hi,

As I know, CSC stands for Client-Side Caching, it is used to store Offline Files on your computer, the directory is C:\Windows\CSC. While IEhistory stands for Internet Explorer History, also called Browsing History. Internet Explorer History is included in the index with the location: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files. To access these files, please go to its location and ensure that you have enough permissions.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

Thursday, September 16, 2010 1:38 AM
  • Thanks again for your reply.  I think I did not phrase my last post well, so let me try again: why are the the csc and iehistory content sources in URL (URI?) form?  Can they be accessed manually in that form?
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:23 AM
  • I’m sorry that I misunderstand your question.

I would like to share the following document, then you may understand why URLs are stored in Windows Search results:

Indexing Process in Windows Search

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

Friday, September 17, 2010 2:56 AM
  • Thanks for the very detailed reference.  This brings up another question: can Windows Search be run from a command line? 
    Friday, September 17, 2010 2:37 PM
  • Please try using the following command:

dir /s *.doc

More reference, please see:Dir

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

Monday, September 20, 2010 1:42 AM
  • Thanks.  Once again, I think I asked my question poorly.  I'll try again - how about searching file or store contents from a command prompt?  For example, if I type Hawaii in my Start Menu search box, it will see a list of items (files, email items, calendar items) that contain the string Hawaii.  Is there a command prompt equivalent?
    Monday, September 20, 2010 3:05 PM
  • There is a command utility called Find.

Find

For example:

Find “Hawaii” *.*

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:42 AM
  • Thank you.  I don't think the find command utility can find file metadata (such as the Author tag in picture files), or strings in email or calendar items, but Windows Search run from the GUI (Start Menu search box, for example) can.  I was asking if Windows Search can be run from a command prompt to give the same results obtained as when it is run from the GUI.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:10 PM
  • I'm afraid that the answer is no. Maybe some third party utility has this ability.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

Friday, September 24, 2010 6:53 AM
  • I marked your last reply as answer.  Thanks.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 10:12 AM