none
file save RRS feed

• Question

• I use Project Server 2010 and Project Professional 2010 and am having a problem with saving two of my project file as it takes a long time.

While the save is happening there is a spinning hour glass, the screen goes white, there is a message "(Not responding)" and I can go off and make lots of cups of coffee. 

The files are not particularly big (under 600 lines) and under 2 Mb in size.

I have tried 'file save as'  as well as 'save as sharing' and it made no difference as the file save still takes a long time. 

Sunday, August 25, 2013 7:49 AM

Answers

• HFProjects,

First of all, do you have SP2 installed? If not, install it.

Are there any Event based macros attached to the files that run when the file is closed? If so, the macro could be causing the delay.

Assuming the problem is only with the two files, it could be a case of file corruption. Try saving as XML and then re-opening in Project. Note: you will lose any custom formatting with this process.

John

• Marked as answer by HFprojects Wednesday, August 28, 2013 8:37 AM
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:31 PM

All replies

• HFProjects,

First of all, do you have SP2 installed? If not, install it.

Are there any Event based macros attached to the files that run when the file is closed? If so, the macro could be causing the delay.

Assuming the problem is only with the two files, it could be a case of file corruption. Try saving as XML and then re-opening in Project. Note: you will lose any custom formatting with this process.

John

• Marked as answer by HFprojects Wednesday, August 28, 2013 8:37 AM
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:31 PM
  • HFprojects --

The number of tasks is irrelevant.  What is way more relevant is the number of resource assignments (total number of resources assigned to all tasks) and the total number of task fields that roll down to the assignment level.  Giving the fact that Save for Sharing does not reduce the save time, I would suspect these other two factors may be responsible.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:25 PM
  • Is it possible that you're saving the file to a network share - or your cache is not local to your machine?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Monday, August 26, 2013 1:59 AM
  • "Is it possible that you're saving the file to a network share - or your cache is not local to your machine?" : It happens when I save the project in standalone mode on my local machine.

I don't think the file is corrupt as I saved it as XML and resaved and it made very little difference. 

Monday, August 26, 2013 9:56 AM
  • HFprojects,

Okay, how about the question about macros?

If there are no Event based macros attached, how about the assignment "loading" as Dale suggested?

John

Monday, August 26, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Yes, there is an event-based macro. All our files have this macro and the two in question are the only two that have a problem so it cannot be the only issue.

I wasn't sure exactly what Dale meant. My task structure is set out as below. Could the problem be that there are too many summary tasks?

1. Project name
      1. Q3 tasks
        1. September tasks
          1. Main task
            1. Sep task 1
              1. Sub task 1
              2. Sub task 2
              3. Sub task 3
            2. Sep task 2
              1. Sub task 1

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:54 AM
  • HFprojects --

If you navigate to the Task Usage view, you can see the resource assignments that I referenced in my original response.  The names of the resources that you see indented and italicized below each task are the resource assignments on each task.  Do you have a large number of resources assigned to all of the tasks in the project?  This can cause this project to save and publish slowly.  For example, one of my customers has dozens of tasks with fifty or more resources assigned to EACH of them.  This makes his project very slow to save and publish.  So, do you have a large number of resource assignments?

Beyond this, does your organization's Project Server instance have custom enterprise task fields that roll down to the assignment level?  You will need to ask your Project Server administrator about this.  If you have task fields that roll down to the assignment level, and you have a project with LOTS of resource assignments, then this also can cause the project to save and publish slowly.

Please let us know and we will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 12:09 PM
  • HFProjects,

Okay, what is the Event based macro doing? Just because it appears to work fine with most of your files does not mean that it is irrelevant to the issue at hand. I'd try temporarily removing the macros and see how the files respond.

The number of summary tasks is irrelevant but the number of assignments on performance tasks can be as Dale detailed in his response.

John

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Looks like it was the macro that caused the problem. It is a huge shame as I really need it to run. Here are the details of the macro:

We have had several customers report that they no longer have the ability to add the Summary Task field to the Resource Assignments View in 2010 like they could in 2007.  Unfortunately, this is a byproduct of switching the view from Active X to Ajax.  Unfortunately, this feature did not make it into the new view.  We are able to workaround this, however, by using a macro to automate the population of a Custom Field which can be added to the view. 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectsupport/archive/2013/05/31/project-server-2010-unable-to-add-summary-task-to-resource-assignments-view.aspx

Improving the macro would be the subject of a separate so we can close this one. I'd just like to thank John, Dale and Andrew for their suggestions which were all excellent.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 8:40 AM
  • HFprojects,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:23 PM