Problem with Continuous Section Breaks RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to insert a continuous section break in a Word document. Whenever I insert it, however, the text below the break jumps to the following page, as if I had inserted a page break. When I look at the break in the Show mode, it says "Section Break (Continuous)". 

Anybody else have this problem?

• Moved by Max Meng Friday, January 20, 2012 1:33 AM Moving to a more appropriate forum (From:Office IT Pro General Discussions)
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:11 PM

Answers

• As you have noticed, Word prevents two footnotes of different sections from displaying on the same page; that’s why the type of section break changes. (The underlying reason is that footnotes can be restarted on each section, which might lead to a situation where the same number appears twice on the same page, unless the section break also breaks the page.)

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:09 PM

All replies

• I believe I just found my own solution. This problem arises when there is a footnote on the page. Changing the footnote from "Bottom of Page" to "Below Text" or converting it to an endnote solves the problem. It seemed that once I had the problem fixed, I could change it back to "Bottom of Page" and it leaves everything intact.
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:26 PM
  • As you have noticed, Word prevents two footnotes of different sections from displaying on the same page; that’s why the type of section break changes. (The underlying reason is that footnotes can be restarted on each section, which might lead to a situation where the same number appears twice on the same page, unless the section break also breaks the page.)

Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:09 PM
  • I am on Word for Mac 2016 and have the same problem.  However, I don't have footnotes.  But, in this particular application, I do have a footer.  However, I have had the section breaks change character with and without footers.  

Thursday, January 5, 2017 9:35 PM
  • I am on Word for Mac 2016 and have the same problem.  However, I don't have footnotes.  But, in this particular application, I do have a footer.  However, I have had the section breaks change character with and without footers.      

Are you restarting page numbering somewhere in the document? That may force a new right-hand page.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 10:04 PM