Email from my host gets blocked by some spam server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have my exchange 2007 installed (single server environment, no edge server) behind a firewall.

The server uses a private IP 192.168.x.1, masquarade thru the firewall as mail.myhost.com.

so under mx record for DNS from internet, it shows mail.myhost.com IP.

Send/receive email is not a problem but there are few weird thing and I hope people can advise me on:

When I send message, it appears in the header the private IP number: receive from 192.168.x.1 (mail.myhost.com).

I guest this is the header from the exchange server because it believes it is its IP.

My question is: how can I make the header appear with my real IP for mail.myhost.com, not the private one. Did I miss-config my server?

Does this cause other server with spam filtering block email from my domain ? (they did not say what it is just say "spam reject")

Thank you in advance.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 8:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This should be possible to correct in the firewall - you need to NAT the private address to the public address.

Leif

Saturday, March 15, 2008 3:24 PM
  • Thanks Leif,

it is NATed. I configured it so that when incoming traffic for that public IP mail.myhost.com, it will redirect to 192.168.x.1 and vice versa, when traffic coming out, it will appear as it is from mail.myhost.com.

But the problem is when my exchange server builds its email header, it uses the IP on the server which is a private IP number.

I don't know if there is a way to config it to use the puclib IP instead.

Monday, March 17, 2008 3:33 PM