none
DPM 2010; migrated DPM protection group to new storage pool ; data on source disk is not expiring RRS feed

• Question

• I am running DPM 2010 with 4 storage pool disks. 2 are iSCSI; 1 is SAS; the fourth, also iSCSI, was recently deployed to replace the SAS storage pool disk.

(1) iSCSI
    (2) iSCSI
    (3) SAS - Source
    (4) iSCSI - Destination

Initially we tried to migrate the entire data source (3) to the new iSCSI storage pool disk destination (4). This failed

Set-ProtectionGroup: The allocation of disk space for storage pool volume failed because there is not enough unallocated disk space in the storage pool (ID: 358). (Sorry, I was not allowed to attach an image).

We believe the source disk previously created dynamic links to the long-term retention device (tape) which resulted in exceeding the available space on the new destination iSCSI storage pool disk. The source storage pool disk was totaling ~2.5TB, but needed ~9TB for the destination.

Instead I've tried to migrate the DPM protection group. The migration was successful. I followed the procedure outlined here

"Microsoft DPM 2012 Sp1 – How To Migrate Data Source using MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM by ICTtechie" (Sorry, I was not allowed to include a link).

My understanding / expectation was that the data on the source disk would expire within 5 days (as this is our retention time set for disk replication); instead data started to expire from the other 2 iSCSI (1), (2) storage pool disks.

What am I missing here?

Thanks

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 5:15 PM

Answers

• Ok - you may have bumped into this.

WMF 3.0 is incompatible with some Microsoft products including DPM 2010.

Windows Management Framework 3.0 (WMF 3.0), which
    includes PowerShell 3.0, was made available Dec. 11 on Windows Update as an
    optional update but has since been pulled.

More information is available on http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powershell/archive/2012/12/20/windows-management-framework-3-0-compatibility-update.aspx

Resolution

To resolve this issue, uninstall KB2506146 or KB2506143.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by z0rk Monday, March 30, 2015 6:34 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2015 4:28 PM
  • Hi,

Please run this script - it will give you a very good picture of what data sources are located on what disk(s) and how much space would be required to migrate a single disk.  Since volumes can be expanded (spanned) across physical disks, the calculations are only good for migrating a single disk.  You would need to rerun it after each disk migration.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by z0rk Tuesday, March 31, 2015 8:21 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 4:25 PM

All replies

• Hi

Run this DPM power shell command and see if there are any dangling recovery points from before the migration date / time for the data sources that were migrated. 

Get-ProtectionGroup -DPMServerName (hostname) | %{Get-Datasource -ProtectionGroup $_} | %{Get-RecoveryPoint -Datasource $_} | where {$_.Datalocation -eq "Disk"}

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 11:18 PM
  • Thanks Mike, I'll give that a whirl. BTW, this weekend I changed the retention time to 1 day for two of my retention groups and ran 'pruneshadowcopiesDpm2010.ps1'. I received the same error message over and over again:

remove-recoverypoint : Length cannot be less than zero.
    Parameter name: length
    At C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\pruneshadowcopiesDpm2010.ps1:350 char:25
    +                         remove-recoverypoint $rpToRemove -ForceDeletion -confirm ...
    +                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Remove-RecoveryPoint], ArgumentOutOfRangeException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.RecoveryCmdLets.RemoveRecoveryPoint

No changes in the storage pool disk allocation. I thought I pass this along in case it may be relevant.

Thanks!

Monday, March 30, 2015 3:47 PM
  • Ok - you may have bumped into this.

WMF 3.0 is incompatible with some Microsoft products including DPM 2010.

Windows Management Framework 3.0 (WMF 3.0), which
    includes PowerShell 3.0, was made available Dec. 11 on Windows Update as an
    optional update but has since been pulled.

More information is available on http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powershell/archive/2012/12/20/windows-management-framework-3-0-compatibility-update.aspx

Resolution

To resolve this issue, uninstall KB2506146 or KB2506143.

• Marked as answer by z0rk Monday, March 30, 2015 6:34 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2015 4:28 PM
  • I've removed KB2506143 and that took care of the errors. I re-ran 'pruneshadowcopiesDpm2010.ps1'. And it ran successfully, but it did not free up any space. All recovery points on disk should be expired by now (more than 5 days!). Back to square one.

• Edited by z0rk Monday, March 30, 2015 7:25 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2015 6:43 PM
  • The script lists Backup Times; all of them are after the migration date. Do you got another trick up your sleeve?

Thanks Mike

Monday, March 30, 2015 7:23 PM
  • Since fixing the pruneshdowcopies2010.ps1 problem - lets see what you are left with after tonight when the pruning job runs.

Did the volumes on the old disk get deleted for the data sources that were migrated successfully ? 

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 3:55 AM
  • Nothing has changed in disk allocation space on storage pool disk 3 or 4. How would I assess that the volumes got deleted? When I look at Disk Manager I just see one big slice salad. ; )

I wish I could attach a picture here, but I did notice that when I click on a purple slice at random on Disk 3 other slices get highlighted on Disk 1 and / or Disk 2. I presume this indicates that related replica and recovery volumes automatically grew on different storage pool disks?

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 2:46 PM
  • Hi,

Please run this script - it will give you a very good picture of what data sources are located on what disk(s) and how much space would be required to migrate a single disk.  Since volumes can be expanded (spanned) across physical disks, the calculations are only good for migrating a single disk.  You would need to rerun it after each disk migration.

• Marked as answer by z0rk Tuesday, March 31, 2015 8:21 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 4:25 PM
  • I ran the report

==> to migrate Disk-3 you need 10,023.30 GB on the destination

Alright, so I guess the answer is I need more storage.

Mike, do you have any BMP recommendations to avoid volumes expand across storage pool disks? I am new to DPM and inherited this particular configuration. In my mind all data replicas / recovery points should reside on the disk that has been allocated for the protection group. Or is this an unrealistic expectation within the world of DPM?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 6:55 PM
  • Hi,

"Disks" are not allocated to a protection group.  "volumes" are created for each protected data source. If you have multiple disks in the DPM storage pool, then DPM will make the replica volume on one disk, and the recovery point volume on the other for performance reasons.  If a volume needs to be extended, by default VDS will extend it on the same disk, but if the amount of free space is limited, then it will be extended on a disk with enough free space.   DPM extends volume in 10GB or 25% of the current volume size whichever is greater.  Ideally, you would like to size the volume correctly at initial protection so they don't need to be extended, but that is sometimes hard to do if you don't know the rate of change of the protected data, or if the data size itself grows over time. 

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 7:53 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification!
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 10:02 PM