Start App-V application when logging into an RDS Server RRS feed

• Question

• Just wondering if it's possible to start an App-V provisioned application when a user logs onto an RDS Server?

There's a GPO setting that can be used to start a locally installed application but I'm not sure how or if this can be used for App-V?

Cheers for now

Russell

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 11:56 AM

Answers

• Hello,

If App-V 4.X;

sftray.exe "App Name App Version"

If App-V 5;

C:\ProgramData\App-V\<guid>\root\file.exe

Infrastructure does not impact application functionality, however as I stated the in the first post;

The application has to be provisioned before it can be started

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:49 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You could place a shortcut in the startup-folder;
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/run-a-program-automatically-when-windows-starts

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:05 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion but we need to use the relevant GPO to ensure that when the application is closed, the RDS session is terminated as well.

I'm trying to find out if there is a "path" that can be used to "point" to the application that will be provisioned to the RDS Server via the App-V 5 client.

Cheers for now

Russell

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:09 PM
  • Hello,

You lost me completely?

Whats a relevant GPO?

Why would the RD session not be terminated?

Whats this "path" you are looking for?

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:29 PM
  • We need to ensure that certain RDS users only run a specific application and to do this we use the following Group Policy:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Session Environment\Start a program on connection

Which allows us to specify an executable program that's installed on the RDS Server i.e. Word, Excel, etc.

When a user that's assigned the above GPO logs onto the RDS Server, the application is automatically started and then when they close the application, the RDS session is terminated automatically.

This works great but I'm trying to find out if the same can be done for an application provisioned via App-V.

Hope that helps?

Cheers for now

Russell

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:34 PM
  • Hello,

Well...

Right-click the application

Copy the target-location

Paste it into whereever you want

Obviously, the application has to be provisioned for the computer /user before it can be started

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:35 PM
  • Kinda makes sense :-)

Do you know that this will work or is it a theoretical solution?

I don't have access at the moment to the RDS Servers or App-V provisioning system so can't test it myself.

I'll pass your suggestion onto the client in question and see if they can test it......watch this space.

Cheers for now

Russell

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:40 PM
  • Hello,

I know that the solution I suggested works. Wether or not your specific technical implementation will work is for you to test

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:45 PM
  • Does the fact that the App-V applications are provisioned via SCCM (rather than the full App-V infrastructure) potentuially cause us any problems?

Can you give me an example of what the location of an app-v application might look like?

Cheers for now

Russell

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:50 PM
  • Hello,

If App-V 4.X;

sftray.exe "App Name App Version"

If App-V 5;

C:\ProgramData\App-V\<guid>\root\file.exe

Infrastructure does not impact application functionality, however as I stated the in the first post;

The application has to be provisioned before it can be started

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:49 PM