App-V Client 4.6, Application Distribution Flakyness RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

The environment where I work is going through a Novell to Microsoft conversion on 5000 workstations and we are currently testing it on 60 live workstations, on some of the workstations verbose logging has been turned on.

Applications have been packaged but I have noticed something in the client log, what happenes is sometimes the applications are there, and sometimes they are not when they log into the workstation and the users manually have to refresh the application and when they do this sometimes they don't get applications at all.

This is a 10/100 network and bandwidth logs have been checked and switch configurations.  Workstation OS is currently Windows XP Professional VLK.

[03/05/2010 08:22:36:046 FILE WRN] {tid=9F4:usr=601}
    The client could not create the shortcut.
    App: Microsoft Office Access 2007
    User: 0x00000001
    Exe:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client\sfttray.exe
    Location: %CSIDL_PROGRAMS%\Microsoft Office 2007\Microsoft Office Access.lnk
    Args: /launch "Microsoft Office Access 2007"
    Icon: C:\Documents and Settings\601\Application Data\SoftGrid Client\Icon Cache\FDD08AB3-ADE5-47A9-9C29-24B57FD46131.ico
    Working Dir: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client
    Hidden: FALSE
    Source: rtsp://BEMSCCM01:554/

Can anyone enlighten me please, many thanks to all.

Monday, March 29, 2010 9:32 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Is there any non-verbose error code relating to this?
    Have you checked with PROCMON where it fails during the initial refresh?

/Znack
    Monday, March 29, 2010 10:42 AM
  • Hello,

Is there any non-verbose error code relating to this?
    Have you checked with PROCMON where it fails during the initial refresh?

/Znack

There is no non-verbose error codes relating to this, one of the issues is whenever the problem is replicated we can't seem to duplicate this problem.  It is an intermittent issue that is ongoing therefor diagnostics will be hard.

I will add PROCMON to the login and then see if there is any underlying problems.

Monday, March 29, 2010 11:11 AM
  • Andrew,

Do you happen to have redirected profile folders and/or desktop folder?

Apart from that, I can think of only one obvious reason for the error message which is that identically named shortcut (.lnk file) already exists on the same folder. But since this is intermittent and "random", that is unlikely explanation.

/Kalle

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:23 PM
  • Andrew,

Do you happen to have redirected profile folders and/or desktop folder?

Apart from that, I can think of only one obvious reason for the error message which is that identically named shortcut (.lnk file) already exists on the same folder. But since this is intermittent and "random", that is unlikely explanation.

/Kalle

Yes, users have roaming profiles.  I don't think there is an identically named shortcut because there is no such applications associated to that workstation at all or no local installed applications.  Many thanks for the replies and if anyone else has come accross this problem would be great if you could join in.

I will check the profiles out and maybe do some tests with no roaming profile on the account.

EDIT: to test I have excluded the "%AppData%\SoftGrid Client" from the roaming profile via user policy GPO.  Will try to get back with results soon.

Friday, April 16, 2010 8:15 AM
  • If you have roaming profiles or especially redirected desktop folder, there has been some issues in the past with App-V shortcuts so do test without it. Excluding %Appdata%\Softgrid Client\ -folder as whole might not be a good thing as you will not roam any cached user settings (PKG files) for virtual applications in that setup.

/Kalle

Friday, April 16, 2010 6:52 PM