Server 2016 Essentials... need to be DC? RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone tell me whether the Server 2016 Essentials product can be used as a standalone/secondary server in an existing domain (like Essentials 2012 could) or does it need to be the main/only domain controller (like Essentials 2012 R2)?

Basically client currently has SBS 2011 and we have an app that will not run under SBS.  Eventually they will upgrade from the SBS to Essentials but they're not ready just yet.  Basically don't want to waste money on a server standard license for this temporary second server unless there's no other way, so if I could use the essentials as that second server temporarily until they migrate I'd be much better off. 

Cheers,
    Mike

Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Windows Server 2016 RTM has not been released yet, there is less information being published officially. Currently, we could only refer to the Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials TechNet articles.

Add Windows Server Essentials as a Member Server

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn486837%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

In my opinion, it will be the same behavior with the Essentials 2012 R2. But we strongly recommend you wait until the final released.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alvwan Friday, September 2, 2016 8:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Tuesday, September 6, 2016 2:37 AM
    Friday, August 26, 2016 5:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Windows Server 2016 RTM has not been released yet, there is less information being published officially. Currently, we could only refer to the Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials TechNet articles.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn486837%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

In my opinion, it will be the same behavior with the Essentials 2012 R2. But we strongly recommend you wait until the final released.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alvwan Friday, September 2, 2016 8:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Tuesday, September 6, 2016 2:37 AM
    Friday, August 26, 2016 5:43 AM
  • Ok.  It has been released.

Where can we find the documentation?   They don't seem to make it too easily available. :)

Thanks!

Saturday, October 22, 2016 4:35 AM
  • Hi,

Here is the link for Server 2016 Essentials:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/window-server-docs/essentials/install/add-windows-server-essentials-as-a-member-server

And you could find all the published links of Windows Server 2016 Essentials here:

Get started with Windows Server 2016 Essentials

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/window-server-docs/essentials/get-started/get-started

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, October 24, 2016 2:26 AM
  • No, it's not "recommended" to have 2 SBS Domain Controllers on the same LAN & subnet.  Even though Essential is not "technically" a Small Business Server....it is.  LOL!  It's basically the SBS replacement and the fundamental premise of having two Active Directory domains sharing the same physical segment of the physical network and competing DNS namespaces is NOT advised.  Just pony up and buy a copy of Server Standard Edition and save yourself the headache and build onto the network.  If you ever do a new network/replace the SBS server will Essentials (new domain and all) as the "Primary Domain Controller" than you can just remove the "Member Server" from the old domain and adding it to the new one.  I've never done and in place upgrade of SBS, and don't trust them from past experiences.  The good news is that with each subsequent release of the Server OS I am optimistic that you could upgrade from Essentials to an AD domain running on regular Standard Edition servers and scale accordingly.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 6:31 AM