WSS 3.0 Permission Disconnect? RRS feed

• Question

• Recently a developer was working on our site doing web part development. They installed VSeWSS 1.3 to deploy and debug webparts. Now we have two sites (A and B) for two different development projects. They were working on the site A. 

Now though the permissions for site B are all messed up. A user can log in to the site, their name displays at the top of the page. However, they can not access additional actions they once had, like New items for list. They can display the list, but nothing more. This is true for EVERY document library, list, etc, and for every user. 

I don't understand enough yet about SharePoint to start debugging this problem. If it had happened to site A it would have made sense, but since it is limited to one site not exactly sure what had happened. 

Any start points would be great.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:52 PM

Answers

• Do you know whether these sites or site collections? 

In general permissions don't change between sites unless an administrator makes a change or you deploy custom code that makes modifications to the permissions.

Here are some possible scenarios:

• If site B is a site under site A, it's possible changes to permissions in A will effect B if B inherits permissions from A or groups that are used in B were removed in A.
    • An administrator has made changes to permissions in site B.
    • Site B is a site collection and has been locked, either manually or following a site collection backup (this was common before SP1 or SP2, I forget which). Check the lock status in Central Administration -> Application Management -> Site collection quotas and locks
    • Site B exists in a different content database than site A, and the database itself is set to read-only. 

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

• Marked as answer by JackMillar Friday, November 9, 2012 9:52 PM
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:49 PM

All replies

• Do you know whether these sites or site collections? 

In general permissions don't change between sites unless an administrator makes a change or you deploy custom code that makes modifications to the permissions.

Here are some possible scenarios:

• If site B is a site under site A, it's possible changes to permissions in A will effect B if B inherits permissions from A or groups that are used in B were removed in A.
    • An administrator has made changes to permissions in site B.
    • Site B is a site collection and has been locked, either manually or following a site collection backup (this was common before SP1 or SP2, I forget which). Check the lock status in Central Administration -> Application Management -> Site collection quotas and locks
    • Site B exists in a different content database than site A, and the database itself is set to read-only. 

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

• Marked as answer by JackMillar Friday, November 9, 2012 9:52 PM
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:49 PM
  • The site was locked as read only under central administration just like you said! Any idea how that would happen? I'm trying to get together a procedure or other control to prevent unnecessary repeats. Thanks again!
    Friday, November 9, 2012 9:51 PM
  • Usually there are two ways: 1) an administrator changes the setting or 2) a site collection backup ran and did not reset the status lock back to none (i.e. unlocked). There is a known issue with earlier WSS/MOSS buids. To my knowledge this is resolved by SP2.

If you are running site collection backups (stsadm -o backup -url http://sitecollection) in a nightly schedule or some other automated way you can force the site collection to be unlocked with the setsitelock stsadm operation:

stsadm -o setsitelock -url http://sitecollection -lock none

If the site is locked, it will remove the lock (i.e. unlock). If it's already not locked it will remain unlocked. 

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:28 AM