Windows Explorer Layout - XP VS. Vista/7 RRS feed

• Question

• Just a simple question:
    Will the layout of the file explorer for windows 7 be simaler to vista's?
    Or will there be an option to have it laied out like XP insted?
    I find vista's "streamlined" system of file explorer very confusing and time cunsumeing to navagate,
    on more than one occation i have found myself reverting to command prompt to accomplish tasks in vista that would have taken me less than 5mins in xp.
    Please tell me somone has some good news :)
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:19 AM

All replies

• Very similar to vista
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:33 AM

• vista7

You can forget about accessing Libraries from the Command Prompt.  They act like junctions but are xml based files with extension .library-ms 

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:10 AM
  • lol  yeah, thats 100% true
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:14 AM
  • Overall, I'm a little disappointed in how Win7 turned out, I expected it to be less like vista than it is before they started releasing it. I think it might be even more complicated than vista. I know one of the things that most people dont like about vista is how complicated it is with the hidden features and all, I expected Win7 to pull away from that some, but they might have gotten worse. Ive been using it now for a while, and Im still trying to decide
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:25 PM
  • The search function is very useful. I agree with you on that. But I still miss my old file explorer from XP. It gave a much better overview of all my files. 

Are there no way to change the layout to something similar?

Here is what I would like back again:
    - The line-up in the left part of the window, which represents the path and the structure of the entire computer.
    - Open and closed folder icons
    - Not so many forced icons for pictures, music, documents... etc. etc. Just a nice and simple layout without so much 'noise'.
    - When I open the pathfinder, I would like the left line-up to be 'active' which makes fast maneuvers with the arrows easy.

I hope that you or someone else can help me.

BR Malene
    Friday, November 27, 2009 7:25 PM