Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• This works fine for one partner but the other one cannot upload multiple documents using Explorer View, they recieve the following error: "Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer"

Sharepoint is accessed over SSL using IE8. I have verified the following on the client that isn't working:

* The site URL is added to the Trusted Sites zone in Internet Explorer

* IE is not running in 64-bit mode

* The WebClient service is started

What further troubleshooting steps are available?

Monday, September 2, 2013 8:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Try below solution as well:

http://newsignature.com/blog/2013/04/24/open-with-explorer-errors-in-sharepoint-2010/#.UiRuvj-91yI

https://usss.iu.edu/SharePoint%20Wiki/Your%20client%20does%20not%20support%20opening%20this%20list%20with%20Windows%20Explorer%20or.aspx

If still face same issue then let us know your operating system detail.

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Sairams Monday, September 2, 2013 11:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by iProtocol Tuesday, September 3, 2013 9:59 AM
    Monday, September 2, 2013 10:58 AM
  • After hours of trying out all the different suggested solutions online we finally figured out that the issue was our Symantec Endpoint Protection firewall blocking the connections! 

The symptoms were overall very sluggish response times for our Sharepoint site and the "Open with Explorer" threw the very misleading error that our client was not supported! 

Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:31 PM
  • Hello,

What version of Symantec Endpoint Protection are you running?

Did you allow the connection via SEP firewall ?

Awaiting response.

Friday, September 27, 2013 3:02 PM
  • Can you share more information about the Symantec Endpoint Protection problem? I think I have the same issue.

How did you confirm this was the cause? And did you find a workaround / solution ?

Monday, January 20, 2014 11:25 AM
  • Hi,

I am Chetan Savade from Symantec Technical Support Team.

Verify system requirements are met for Symantec Endpoint Protection.

Landling page is available to find all the SEP releases info: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163829

To isolate issue can withdraw the firewall policy and verify issue persist or not.

Regards,
    Chetan

Monday, January 27, 2014 4:00 PM
  • For SharePoint 2013 (so could apply to 2010 as well), my problem was that I was trying to "Open with Explorer" something that probably can't be opened with Explorer. In my case, I just wanted to open my team's Shared Documents with Explorer. I found that when I first log into SharePoint and view the page, I'm presented with those Shared Documents, but also other things as well.

To get "Open with Explorer" to work, I must click "Shared Documents" under the Libraries heading on the left. Then, all the other stuff (Links, Getting Started, etc.) go away and I'm focused on my team's shared documents. From there, I can go up to the Library Tools section in the ribbon, choose the Library tab in the ribbon, and click Open with Explorer.

Works like a champ on Windows 7 64-bit, running IE 9 32-bit.

• Edited by sac86738 Monday, October 6, 2014 11:18 PM
    • Proposed as answer by sac86738 Monday, October 6, 2014 11:18 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Hemendra Agrawal Tuesday, October 7, 2014 5:02 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Hemendra Agrawal Tuesday, October 7, 2014 5:02 AM
    Monday, October 6, 2014 11:17 PM