none
Microsoft Project 2010 Pro error when creating visual reports with excel RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a trial of Microsoft Project Pro 2010 and when I try to generate visual reports with excel it freezes up and says:

Excel is busy.

This may be because Excel is currently waiting for user input (for example a dialogue box may be open.)

Switch to excel to correct the problem, then try again.

Every solution I have found online states that your region and language settings on your computer and in MS project need to be changed to English (U.S.) to fix this problem.  I have verified that all of my setting match this, but still no luck.

I am running office 2003.  Sometimes the report will show up briefly for a second or so and then give me the error message, but usually the report doesn't display at all.  This will happen when the computer is rebooted, when excel is turned on, and when excel is turned off.

Is this a limitation of the trial version or is there some other solution for this problem?  Is it possible that my data is not entered correctly to generate the report?  Thanks.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:14 PM

Answers

• Hi everyone,

Sorry to have wasted anyone's time.  I realized that I accidentally downloaded the 64 bit version of Microsoft Project and the 32 bit version is available through microsoft as well as the 64 bit version.  Thanks for all the help.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:15 PM

All replies

• Check this http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/tr-TR/projectprofessional2010general/thread/52600592-ef4f-4289-a38f-e22dd3c0ed41

It may help.

--Ismet

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:28 PM
  • There is no limit to the trial version, but Project 2010 is only verified against Excel 2007/2010.  my 1st thought would be to download a trial version of excel 2010 and see if that works for you.
    Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:02 PM
  • Thank you Ismet.  I have already tried this, but still cannot get it to work.  I am new to Microsoft Project so I'm wondering if I am inputing data in wrong or not.  It just seems like it would be giving me a different error if so and it is weird that sometimes it displays the graphic for a split second and then freezes.  I think I'm going to try to generate some reports in Excel without using MS Project for now as I need to get the reports done in a couple of hours.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Thank you for the advice Ben.  I think you may be right I'll give it a try and if there are any further issues I'll post back.  Thanks everyone for the quick responses.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:12 PM
  • I'm having same issue; not on Trial. Latest Office 2010, Project 2010, on Windows 7.  All the ideas on the thread at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/tr-TR/projectprofessional2010general/thread/52600592-ef4f-4289-a38f-e22dd3c0ed41 didn't seem to work.  Heck: I was even commenting on that thread at the time before these issues appeared for me.  I think I've tried everything that has been suggested on the many threads on this topic.

Have only Office 2010 components on this machine. Was getting the dreaded "unknown" error when trying todo a Cash Flow to Excel.  Did a "repair" on Project 2010 and Office 2010.  Now Project tells me the source MPP file is "read only" (it is not) and asks me if I want to save a copy? If I say "Yes", it gives me a save dialog box then Project cancels. If i say "no", it also gives me a save dialog box and then crashes.  Sometimes the computer tells me "Excel is busy".  So am I and I was hoping Excel could help!

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:45 AM
  • I agree with you Rob, somehow this remains as unknown issue where in EXL is always shown as busy with no valid reason to support the cause.
    Sapna S
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:26 AM
  • I agree with you Rob, somehow this remains as unknown issue where in EXL is always shown as busy with no valid reason to support the cause.
    Sapna S

Hello Sapna,

Just a note...

The following paragraph is from a TechNet page (the page is not available now - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee694637(office.14,printer).aspx):

Prerequisites for Project 2010

To use Visual Reports with Office 2010, you must install the following before installing Project 2010:
    • Office 2010

• Visio 2010

• Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services 10.0 OLE DB Provider, which is available as a free download from Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Feature Pack, October 2008 [ http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=110393 ] (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=110393)

I remember that I had a problem with Excel while testing trial version and installed Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Feature Pack and it worked at that time. Anyway, I just wanted to share with you.

Regards,

Ismet

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:22 AM
  • Thanks Ismet for sharing I have read this before :) its true that it work at times, but I have seen numerous people reporting it as issue. May be some SP could resolve this.
    Sapna S
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:30 AM
  • I just tried Ben's suggestion of downloading the trial version of excel and ended up downloading the trial version of office 2010.  I removed all programs pertaining to Microsoft office 2003 and Microsoft Project 2010.  Per Ismet's advice I installed the trial version of Office 2010 first and updated everything. 

I then tried to install the trial of Microsoft Project 2010 and it gave me an error saying something like I was trying to install a 64 bit office product when I already had a 32 bit office product installed.  I'm assuming the trial of office 2010 is 32 bit and there was no problem installing the Microsoft Project 2010 trial with 32 bit Office 2003 so I don't know why it is giving me this error. 

It says that Microsoft Office Single Image 2010 is not supported with 64 bit installations.

From what I've read online I've heard it is best to install 32 bit office I'd like to keep it 32 bit.  For this it says to either exchange your 64 bit product for a 32 bit product or go to the root folder on your installation CD or DVD to install the correct version of office.

I could be wrong, but from downloading these trials from Microsoft I don't believe there were any type of bit version options to download and it would only let you download from 1 specific link. 

Without calling up microsoft tech support does anyone know a fix for this without having to get new downloads of the files?

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Sorry to have wasted anyone's time.  I realized that I accidentally downloaded the 64 bit version of Microsoft Project and the 32 bit version is available through microsoft as well as the 64 bit version.  Thanks for all the help.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:15 PM
  • Updating to Office 2010 fixed the problem.  I'm not sure if it was because I was running the 64 bit version of Microsoft Project 2010 at first or if it was office 2003, but everything works now.

Thanks all!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Project 2010 Visual Reports is supported for Excel 2003, 2007, and 2010. If you are trying to use Visual Reports with Excel 2003 their is an issue though with a component not getting recognized correctly.

To workaround this issue, you need to manually install the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services 10.0 OLE DB Provider. You can get that through this link -http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=b33d2c78-1059-4ce2-b80d-2343c099bcb4

Ismet the information you point to I believe is from a 2010 beta is is no longer correct.

Thanks,

Heather

Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:57 PM
  • Thank you Heather, for the update and the correct link.
    Regards. --Ismet
    Friday, July 1, 2011 12:18 AM