none
Sharepoint 2016 support for Hyper-V 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I can't find any statement if running SharePoint 2016 as VM under Hyper-V 2012-R2 is supported.

I’m planning to virtualize the SharePoint2016 and the MS-SQL 2016 Server.

Can anyone share a link to the support-policy if possible, please.

Thanks and regards,

Guido Jeuken

Monday, August 28, 2017 1:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Guido.

As far as I know, SharePoint products are supported to run in a Hyper-V (it is a very common way to implement a SharePoint farm, as you know), provided that the underlying OS is supported as a guest OS in a Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V.
    The Microsoft Knowledge Base article 957006 discusses the support policy for running Microsoft server software in the supported virtualization environments (including Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V).

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Monday, August 28, 2017 2:30 PM

All replies

• Not sure if this will be good enough, but I worked with Microsoft to implement a Reference Architecture for SharePoint 2016 using Azure VMs.  If MS didn't officially support using VMs for SharePoint 2016 they wouldn't have published a Reference Architecture design for it.  Here's the documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/architecture/reference-architectures/sharepoint/

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Owner/Principal Architect: Don't Pa..Panic Consulting
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as 'answered' if this solves your problem.

Monday, August 28, 2017 1:39 PM
  • Hi Guido.

As far as I know, SharePoint products are supported to run in a Hyper-V (it is a very common way to implement a SharePoint farm, as you know), provided that the underlying OS is supported as a guest OS in a Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V.
    The Microsoft Knowledge Base article 957006 discusses the support policy for running Microsoft server software in the supported virtualization environments (including Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V).

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Monday, August 28, 2017 2:30 PM