"Edit Directory," or "Open File Location" (etc) no longer work on shortcuts or in any related dialogs (Windows 7 x64) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not positive exactly what I did, but I can no longer open locations through "Open file location" or "Find location" dialogs.  If I use the searchbar in explorer to do a search, right click on a file and choose "Open file location", explorer jumps to that location without any trouble, but I cannot open download locations in Firefox, or any other related application.  I believe the problem may be related to my changing the target of explorer from "libraries" to "My Computer" using the following instructions from http://www.thewindowsplanet.com/1162/stop-explorer-showing-libraries-launched-taskbar.htm:

To change it to open to “My Computer”, change the shortcut to:

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

I reverted the shortcut back to %Systemroot%\explorer.exe after noticing problems (and it now opens the libraries again), but now I cannot open directories.  Please help.

System Info:

Intel Core Duo @2.66, 4Gb RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 11:25 PM

Answers

• Which applications have this issue? If they are not Windows build-in applications, I suggest you reinstall the applications and check the result. 
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, July 16, 2010 8:55 AM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:23 AM

All replies

• does anyone know what registry entries would be changed by the "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}" code?

or if there is a difference between the explorer.exe call used by Windows and the call made by applications for finding directories?

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Which applications have this issue? If they are not Windows build-in applications, I suggest you reinstall the applications and check the result. 
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, July 16, 2010 8:55 AM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:23 AM
  • I have the same problem. I have no idea what caused it though, it's not my computer.

Noticed when Google Chrome stopped being able to use "Show in folder" for downloaded files, it is not limited to Chrome though.

Same message pops up when I open shortcut properties and try to click "Open file location" and it doesn't matter what file type the shortcut is for: .exe, .rar, .jpg.

I can provide logs from ProcMon if it helps, but I will probably need directions to set up filters properly.

System info: Vista Home Premium, Toshiba Laptop

EDIT: SOLUTION

As I suspected it was something with Folder or Directory associations in the registry. I found a fix here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/06/20/how-to-unassociate-file-types-and-remove-file-extension-associations-in-windows-vista/ but I don't know anymore which one helped: Directory or Folder.

• Edited by manicalic Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:39 PM Found Answer
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:32 PM