none
Using priority to do leveling RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to know which task should be prioritize, e.g should I prioritize task on the critical path compare to other task which is not on the critical path. Please let me know what factor bearing the decision when prioritizing task. Kindly advised.

Regards,

Rahimah

Friday, September 7, 2012 5:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Rahimah,

Decision of setting priority is based on Business need, project planning and other factors related to deliverable status. A PM decides on this, that which tasks he need to given priority while leveling so when he sets a high priority for that tasks then resources are first considered for these tasks while leveling. Rest of the tasks are either split or delayed based on the schedule schema.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174681

Sapna Shukla

Friday, September 7, 2012 7:13 AM
  • Hi Rahimah,

You don't even need to set priorities for this! Project's "Standard" priority has the highest priority for criticl tasks. Th exact formula for his "Standard" priority has never been published but I've done enough tests to be sure that critical tasks will come first in "Standard".

Hope this helps,

Friday, September 7, 2012 7:28 AM
  • Priority is a way to impose your preferences on how MSP does the leveling.

That is, it is based on something from outside of what is modeled in the network, but you have to decide on what those preferences are, based on the particular project and whatever factors determine your strategy.

MSP is just software and cannot read your mind or look at the project, or think about strategy.

Saturday, September 8, 2012 12:03 AM
  • The factors, in order, that "Stanard" leveling takes into account:

• Predecessor relationships
    • Slack (the number of time units that a task can be delayed without changing the finish date of the project)
    • Dates
    • Priorities
    • Constraints

Priority, Standard is the same list but Priority is first.

Standard APPEARS to take criticality into account but it actually doesnt do so directly. It looks like it does because its first two factors are relationships and slack. This means that a task with 0 slack always gets leveled AFTER a task with Slack>0.

this very, VERY old article I wrote on Techrepublic (yikes in 2003!!) still applies:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/deciding-when-to-use-resource-leveling-in-microsoft-project/1058521

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Saturday, September 8, 2012 4:05 AM