none
Delivery Optimization service downloading something and using all my bandwidth

Question

• Turned on my PC for the first time in a few weeks this afternoon (I usually use a laptop) and web browsing was pretty much unusable. Incoming network traffic to the PC was maxing out my ADSL broadband.

It was the svchost process that runs all of Windows Update, BITS etc. So I stopped the BITS service but that made no difference. Then I tried stopping some of the other services that sounded "suspicious" and pretty soon found that the culprit was the Delivery Optimization service.

So what exactly was this doing and why? I've read about people claiming that it kills their upload bandwidth, but this was all download, about 9Mbps (which is all my ADSL can achieve). In the Windows Update "Advanced" settings, "Choose how updates are delivered", I have Updates from more than one place turned on, but set to PCs on my local network.

My best guess is that somehow this PC has decided that it will be the update repository for my home network, and is pulling down updates on behalf of all the other machines. Except it's not using BITS, and is making the broadband connection unusable for anything else for the duration (until I stopped it). But that is a complete guess. Who knows what it was downloading, or why...

Once I'd stopped the Delivery Optimization service (which was very slow to stop), BITS did seem to kick in and start to use some bandwidth, but only around 4-5Mbps, and so I was able to still use a web browser for other stuff, as were other people in the house.

Can somebody please explain what's going on and why - and how to stop/alter it? Why write something like BITS which seems to work pretty well to then go and use something else which seems to throw the "background" and "intelligent" options out the window (literally, ha!). I don't like to disable the DO service without knowing what it is/was up to, and why.

Monday, April 18, 2016 7:25 PM

Answers

• I am having the same issue on latest Windows 10 Preview build 14295. While Windows Update shows 0 Update available, Store shows 0 progress in current downloads and Updates from more than one place turned off, it still keeps on using all my Broadband bandwidth potentially downloading nothing as far as I can see. If it was upload it could have been assumed that it is sending data to other PC's but that is not the case either.

I hope this thing gets fixed in some cumulative update soon.

As temporary solution, I am trying to permanently disable it from service configuration settings. Hopefully that will work.

Sunday, April 24, 2016 10:42 AM
  • Hi robincm2,

As far as I know, the "Delivery Optimization service" is related to the new Windows 10 Update feature called "Windows Update Delivery Optimization"(p2p download). It makes it available to download the windows updates from local network.
    Here is a link for reference:
    Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-sg/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq

If it is the culprit, we could disable it completely.
    Windows Update "Advanced" settings, "Choose how updates are delivered", turn off. Then the machine will update from Windows Update directly. That service could be disabled safely.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 6:09 AM

All replies

• Hi robincm2,

As far as I know, the "Delivery Optimization service" is related to the new Windows 10 Update feature called "Windows Update Delivery Optimization"(p2p download). It makes it available to download the windows updates from local network.
    Here is a link for reference:
    Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-sg/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq

If it is the culprit, we could disable it completely.
    Windows Update "Advanced" settings, "Choose how updates are delivered", turn off. Then the machine will update from Windows Update directly. That service could be disabled safely.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 6:09 AM
  • I am having the same issue on latest Windows 10 Preview build 14295. While Windows Update shows 0 Update available, Store shows 0 progress in current downloads and Updates from more than one place turned off, it still keeps on using all my Broadband bandwidth potentially downloading nothing as far as I can see. If it was upload it could have been assumed that it is sending data to other PC's but that is not the case either.

I hope this thing gets fixed in some cumulative update soon.

As temporary solution, I am trying to permanently disable it from service configuration settings. Hopefully that will work.

Sunday, April 24, 2016 10:42 AM
  • Here's a screenshot of Task Manager showing network bandwidth. Can you guess at what point I stopped the Delivery Optimization service?

My broadband goes at about 9Mbps max. 

I have to ask yet again, why fix what isn't broken? BITS works perfectly well, Delivery Optimization clearly doesn't. Until I'd stopped it my broadband was unusable for anything. Browsing websites was impossible because Delivery Optimization has sucked up all my bandwidth. That is not good. Things that are good: Background, Intelligent.

Looks like I'll have to try and work out how to submit this as a bug (and it is a bug - it is something that I have not initiated that is doing a DoS on my home network).

• Proposed as answer by Rekki Thursday, May 31, 2018 4:02 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Rekki Thursday, May 31, 2018 4:02 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Rekki Thursday, May 31, 2018 4:03 PM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:48 PM
  • Stupid Microsoft programmers.  THEY SHOULD FIRE YOU ALL FOR IMBECILES!  Why can't you gen anything done right?  I've always been a pro PC user but given your lately display of capacities, I'm about to go and buy a MAC and throw away my PC with all it's Microsoft crap on it so I don't have to deal with your ineptitude ever again!

"Windows Delivery Optimization" "SuperFetch" "Windows Management Instrumentation" EVEN "CORTANA"!!  all bunch of junk that instead of improving the performance of the PC, it makes it stupidly slow!!!  

GO TO HELL YOU ALL!  I seriously hope someday MAC or Linux take you out of business!

Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:55 PM
  • I made an account on this forum just to back your statements. (first post ever)
    My experience with windows10 is just like the Russians:  I will go to great lengths to remove you from my life. 
    I manage a small office and for the last 4 months we suffer these debilitating slowdowns in the middle of the week, often starting at 9am.  I spent several days on the phone with my ISP saying:  what is wrong with my internet!?
    Well, as they could not help, I eventually looked at my traffic (before 10 we never had slowdowns).   The 10 downloads use 97% of my bandwidth with no choice! 
    Now I'm in the middle of this fight with finding all the ways 10 wants to download backups on each computer. 
    I've disabled several computers, but they keep downloading.    60% of our computers were upgraded to 10 without permission. 

So I say as my friend above says:  FU:  "GO TO HELL YOU ALL!  "

Turning my PCs into your Fkn ADD BOT.  I hate ADDS!  I do the reverse of ads: FK + OFF
    Your Onedrive, and Contana, just SpyBOTS .  Even the cameras are sending junk after upgrading to 10!  

I know what is coming for you and I plan on jumping ship asap:   Google operating system on PCs
    Never another dime to Microsoft. 

Friday, September 30, 2016 3:10 PM
  • It took forever for me to update to a modern version of Win10, (under the blind (lying) guise of "compatibility" to play Forza Horizon 3) - Turns out it wouldn't update because there was a device on my system that it didn't recognize (Oh those pesky optical drives...  they can be SO complicated!  Unplugged my DVD-ROM and finally jumped up to 14393.693, which is as of this post, the most current.  I checked my internet usage after that fiasco (multiple full downloads of WinX and two full downloads of FH3) -- 150GB, under my 300GB data cap.  OK, we're good.  BUT...

One week later, I notice my internet is slow, check my data, I'm 150GB OVER!  I clean out as much as I can off the PC (running apps, etc) to no avail, and eventually am led to this Delivery Optimization crap - Glasswire shows a STEADY download of like 8M/s.  Windows update advanced settings, the P2P garbage is OFF.  D/O still sucking it dry.  Services.msc -- I "stop" the Delivery Optimization process.  Glasswire shows an immediate stop in network activity.  I "disable" Delivery Optimization in 'services'.   Next day, IT'S BACK.  And has sucked out 16GB in ONE F**KING DAY!  And now, in services.msc, Delivery Optimization is "running" AND "disabled" - And "stop" is no longer an available option.  "Task Manager--Processes" shows it running also, and "End Task" brings up it's equivalent of "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"  Windows Update's advanced settings still shows the P2P option OFF.

Malwarebytes and Defender (Hah!) both give the PC a clean bill of health.

By my estimate, this little "feature" cost me $50 in over-data charges IN ONE WEEK!  Micro$oft refuses to allow "Wired" connections to be classified as "Metered" (which is complete bulls**t, since WiFi is a LOT easier for someone to steal!!!) and as such, the end user is expected to just bend over and "take it" 

I truly hope Micro$oft finds itself on the uncomfortable side of another class-action lawsuit over this kind of crap!

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 9:47 PM
  • I had the same prob setting my connection as metered  fixed it.
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 7:13 AM
  • So ... I had the same problem. I turned off my PS4 and it went away. Although the PS had internet disabled.
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 4:56 PM
  • I had the same prob setting my connection as metered  fixed it.

I have a pretty slow DSL connection and I set it as a "Metered" network just to keep Windows from hammering it.

I had the "Updates from more than one place" option enabled, but had it set to "PCs on my local network". Despite this setting, I found that the wonderfully vague "Delivery Optimization" service was maxing out my (admittedly slow) internet connection and pulling from two IPs, 23.3.105.48 and 23.3.105.56, both registered to Akamai Technologies, a large and very popular content delivery service. (I don't suspect any foul play here, Akamai is likely being paid to host updates for Microsoft.)

Personally, I don't mind the P2P approach to updates, especially if that means I don't have to redownload updates inside my own network. Pulling from an outside source when I've explicitly denied outside sources is, to me, a large violation of trust.

For a "solution", I have a MikroTik router that allows for some really nice, although complicated, control over what goes through it. I ended up limiting the entire 23.3.105.0/24 range to 56kbps max which made my internet connection usable again. (I've done something similar with Windows Update).

I'm very surprised to see that Microsoft hasn't opted for transparency in what they're doing here. I don't think any of it is particularly harmful. Allowing us to rely on others (or even our other local PCs) gives us faster updates and a reduced load on Microsoft's update servers, but obfuscating what they're doing severely hurts user trust and kills the adoption of what I think could have been an otherwise great technology.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 4:14 AM
  • I just want for everyone to know that aside for windows update, Delivery Optimization might be downloading/updating something from Windows Store. You can try checking the download queue of Window Store. 
    • Proposed as answer by R.D.T Thursday, October 26, 2017 4:05 PM
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:16 AM
  • You are a GOD, THANK YOU
    Friday, October 20, 2017 3:26 AM
  • you do realise that microsft disabled toggling almost all of these features and you left us stuck with having half our monthly data getting sucked from us because microsoft thinks its justified to make windows run "smoother"
    Friday, November 10, 2017 6:27 PM
  • Here it is 19 months later and Microsoft still has not fixed this bandwidth hog.  I troubleshot down to the exact same problem while Windows 10 version 1709 was downloading from cloud via Delivery Optimization.  Do you suppose ver 1709 fixes the problem ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Delivery optimization tries to get updates from other computers on your local network as first choice, then tries to get them from strange internet hosts as second choice.  Thus you will find multiple instances of the svchost.exe process with same PID  as Delivery Optimization connected to IP addresses that you do not know.

Your upload bandwidth gets maxed out when Delivery Optimization is sending a stored update from your computer to other local network computers.  Turning this ability off is an advanced setting.

Your download bandwidth gets maxed out when Delivery optimization is sucking an update through a slow internet connection.  The stupid application thinks it has whatever bandwidth your local wi-fi or wired ethernet supports and wants all of it.

I fixed this problem in my Windows 10 PRO desktop using the Group policy editor to set Delivery Optimization Download Bandwidth to half of my 2 Mbps internet bandwidth.  Beware that this setting is BYTES per second (Bps) which is about 1/10 the BITS per second (bps) used in normal network metrics.  The Download PERCENT method cannot be trusted.  The downside of this approach is that you still have slow download speed when your portable computer gets attached to a fast internet.

Unfortunately, the Group Policy Editor does not exist on Windows 10 Home and I have not found the fix for that platform.

Microsoft needs to make Delivery Optimization smart enough to determine the real internet speed and leave 500 kbps or more for browser applications.  It also needs to leave bandwidth during peer to peer operations.

I tinkered with setting the Delivery Optimization service to disabled and manual start, but it found a way to restart after reboot or sooner anyway.  I set the svchost.exe priority to low, but it just created a new instance at higher priority.  Elevating the browser process priority was also futile.  Hope my ramblings help somebody.  Please post here if I badly misrepresented how this mess DOES NOT WORK RIGHT.

• Edited by Jeffrey520 Friday, November 24, 2017 9:26 AM
    Friday, November 24, 2017 9:24 AM
  • I guess you dont have to throw old PC to get MAC... can't it work in PC as well??

I dont know... m new

Sunday, November 26, 2017 7:32 PM
  • In a few hours when they are done updating, ie trespassing on my computer (and wearing it out through overuse) maybe then I can use it ...Microsoft, please let me know when I can use my computer that you have taken control of ...please tell me how to undo this :creator" update ..it takes down my entire network and all devices on it while downloading your relentless updates ... 
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 4:13 PM
  • I've noticed that in Windows 10 1709, if you go to Settings - Update & Security - Advanced Options, there's a new/renamed link "Delivery Optimization".

If you go into this, it gives you the options for allowing downloads from other PCs on your network and the internet. It also tells you that "Windows Update Delivery Optimization provides you with Windows and Store app updates and other Microsoft products quickly and reliably".

If you go into Advanced options you get the ability to:

• Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates in the background (though this is set as a percentage, not in Mbps, so I really hope it's clever enough to figure out my 7Mbps broadband max speed, and isn't going to look at the 1Gbps speed to the network switch!!)
    • Limit how much bandwidth is used for uploading updates to other PCs on the Internet (again as a percentage)
    • Monthly upload limit (range is from 5-500GB)

You also get a pie chart showing monthly upload to date vs amount left.

Back on the Delivery Optimization page, there's also now a link to Activity monitor, which shows you the following:

Thursday, November 30, 2017 6:07 PM
  • The local network thing is great but I have 80 PCs on my network.  They're already bouncing enough useless MS chatter among each other.  If I want to download an update, I want to download an update, not slow down other computers on my network.  We have a 30Meg fiber and Windows update kills it and it's not a cable provider type connection.  We get 30 up and 30 down.  It's 12 midnight and I just ran the update on a computer.  I'm the only person on the network and it killed the Internet connection.  Local network works fine.  It's not using large amounts of bandwidth as I've spoken with our ISP about the issue.  They say we're using a small amount of bandwidth during the times update is causing the issues.  I have just setup 15 new win10 laptops and PCs and every time one gets to the 1709 update, bam, connection goes to shit.  Best part is when the update fails for whatever reason and it has to be done again.  The only good thing is that it doesn't seem to be an issue with all of the updates.  I've done the "other" software updates with little or no notable impact.
    Saturday, December 9, 2017 5:18 AM
  • The following article explains various settings for the delivery optimization. Also how to limit the (download) bandwidth used for Delivery Optimization. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-delivery-optimization#download-mode

So far I have not found a solution to the repeated downloads when an update crashes. 

Hope the article helps.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:47 AM
  • This helped a ton. Still thinking about going back to ubuntu. this is getting annoying. i dont have a data limit but i do have a slow connection and very little free time. i cant sit here and wait for this constant

Thursday, December 14, 2017 5:23 PM
  • I have a HP X360 which had issues with mouse and other pointer devices. HP's resolution was to reinstall. They sent me new media. I did that and despite having updates set to come only from Microsoft my installation has been feverishly consuming my bandwidth for the last 2 days. It has also failed to download the latest update with 13 failed attempts. I have since disabled this service and all seems to have settled down.

It begs the obvious question. With P2P turned off what was it downloading (and uploading)?

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 1:04 AM
  • Thank you dude, this was the solution.

Disable updates and also pause any active downloads from Windows Store

Monday, March 5, 2018 10:46 AM
  • robin if you want to get rid of optimisation service just go to windows+R then type services.msc then find delivery optimisation double click on it and set start-up to disabled from drop down menu and you won't get that problem again. you can use all the bandwidth you have. (P.s it might turn off windows update)  
    • Proposed as answer by Rekki Thursday, May 31, 2018 4:01 PM
    Thursday, May 31, 2018 3:59 PM
  • robin if you want to get rid of optimisation service just go to windows+R then type services.msc then find delivery optimisation double click on it and set start-up to disabled from drop down menu and you won't get that problem again. you can use all the bandwidth you have. (P.s it might turn off windows update) 
    Thursday, May 31, 2018 4:07 PM
  • That did not work for me. I cranked down all the parameters in this thing, and the network went down by a lot. However still it was a bit high. I'm chasing another svchoast process. When I kill it my network use plummets. You think these little bombs from Microsoft are designed to make your ISP MO MONEY? Hope not. I got my pier to pier thingy tuned off, and it's still eating network like crazy.

A fun exercise to do for your PC (I need to do it with this one).

1. Turn your PC on, and let it boot up to your desktop.

2. Run a Network Monitor program. (I use Networx)

3. Watch the network meter, and start killing processes using Network BW.

4. When there aren't any processes left that use network BW, then let the PC sit, idle, and do nothing with the PC.

5. After a while the number of processes that are using network BW dwindles down to very few nagging processes. Now you can figure the who belongs, and who might be an unwanted process. Then it's a mater of finding the parent process.

Saturday, August 18, 2018 2:48 AM
  • I run Linux and MacOS X mostly and have a PoS WinBlows box because this platform is like Toys R Us to me.  The idiots that use Winblows are oblivious to these intrusions and do not allow them to be aware of the bandwidth robbers they are.  If they do this, what else are they doing. I try to stay away from Winblow chunks as much as possible. I only use it because I have to support idiots that use this platform.
    Thursday, March 21, 2019 3:42 AM