none
SBS 2011 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a domain setup mostly of Windows 2003 servers, one being an exchange server, one being the DC, once being a pritner server, a few file servers, a financial server running SQL.  I want to start from scratch, we have down sized the company signifcantly.  I want to order a new SBS2011 SBS and start from scratch.  So I install my email and ad on that.  Can I then add some of those other servers as file servers by just adding them to the domain.  I am getting conflicting answers.  One person tells me that SBS is meant for only 1 server, and other places I read I can have as many servers as I want just not AD servers, but if I add sbs2011 premium add-on I can also use another one of my servers as another AD server.  I also will need one of the other servers to run SQL for our financial software.

Can anyone please help me understand what is possible. 

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 2:17 PM

Answers

• You can have as many servers/domain controllers as you wish in an SBS domain as long as the EULA of SBS is met:

1. SBS must be a DC and GC.

2. All FSMO roles must reside on the SBS Server.

3. No child/ parent domains

4. No trusts.

5. No other SBS Server in the domain for more than the grace period of 21 days.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 2:32 PM