none
Group policy preference file copy not copying newly added files

Question

• I have a group policy preference set to copy files for a screensaver from a network share to a folder on the c:\ 

source \\server\screensaver\* destination c:\screensaver. I used the create action and It worked fine but now I have added more files to the share and its not updating the c:\screensave folder with the newly added files.  I changed the action to update but its not updating. 

Saturday, April 11, 2015 3:24 PM

Answers

• I changed the action to update but its not updating. 

Because Update does not update the file, only the attributes. See: Configure a File Item

Try Replace, this really replace and update new files.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

thennet

Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thank you!

• Edited by thennet Saturday, April 11, 2015 6:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by mitzoid1 Saturday, April 11, 2015 7:41 PM
    Saturday, April 11, 2015 6:27 PM
  • Unfortunately, it will constantly replace the files and default refresh interval for Group Policy is 90-120 min, which means that every 90-120 minute will be replaced files.

Maybe better way, is use startup/logon script for updating files, you can use copy only newly added files in script.

Regards,

thennet

Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thank you!

Saturday, April 11, 2015 7:47 PM
  • I decided to leave the replace action for a few hours, then check the computers for the existence of the files (with PowerShell) then change the action back to create once the all of the computers have the updated files.

thanks

Sunday, April 12, 2015 4:41 PM

All replies

• I changed the action to update but its not updating. 

Because Update does not update the file, only the attributes. See: Configure a File Item

Try Replace, this really replace and update new files.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

thennet

• Edited by thennet Saturday, April 11, 2015 6:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by mitzoid1 Saturday, April 11, 2015 7:41 PM
    Saturday, April 11, 2015 6:27 PM
  • thanks I'll give it a try.  Will this constantly replace the files or only replace if new files exist?
    Saturday, April 11, 2015 7:19 PM
  • Works great! thanks! Disregard the last question I didn't click on the link you gave me. :-)
    Saturday, April 11, 2015 7:41 PM
  • Unfortunately, it will constantly replace the files and default refresh interval for Group Policy is 90-120 min, which means that every 90-120 minute will be replaced files.

Maybe better way, is use startup/logon script for updating files, you can use copy only newly added files in script.

Regards,

thennet

Saturday, April 11, 2015 7:47 PM
  • I decided to leave the replace action for a few hours, then check the computers for the existence of the files (with PowerShell) then change the action back to create once the all of the computers have the updated files.

thanks

Sunday, April 12, 2015 4:41 PM