none
Windows Server with XP mode RRS feed

• General discussion

• I need to use a test server locally, usually what i would have done is installed Virtual PC/Server and then install/configure as needed.

At present i need Windows XP mode for backward compatibility but if i install VPC or V Server i get a warning that its not compatible with Windows 7. I understand that in order to use either of these i need to uninstall Windows XP mode which i dont wish to do for the reason given. Although i could install VPC/Server on Windows XP mode but i think this is a bit too long winded to get a simple task done.

Is there a way to start a Windows Server 2003 by the same method as Windows XP mode? Or what other alternatives/options/work arounds do i have?

Thanks

• Changed type Miya YaoModerator Monday, December 27, 2010 6:36 AM discuss a workaround for the known situation
    Friday, December 24, 2010 9:12 PM

All replies

• You can start VPC from the Start Menu and then load the VHD drive for Server 2003 into VPC, I think.

steve

I need to use a test server locally, usually what i would have done is installed Virtual PC/Server and then install/configure as needed.

At present i need Windows XP mode for backward compatibility but if i install VPC or V Server i get a warning that its not compatible with Windows 7. I understand that in order to use either of these i need to uninstall Windows XP mode which i dont wish to do for the reason given. Although i could install VPC/Server on Windows XP mode but i think this is a bit too long winded to get a simple task done.

Is there a way to start a Windows Server 2003 by the same method as Windows XP mode? Or what other alternatives/options/work arounds do i have?

Thanks

Monday, December 27, 2010 3:54 PM
  • You can just install the 32bit version of Windows Server 2003 into VPC.  You can have multiple VMs with Windows VPc.

Go to C:\Users\%username%\Virtual Machines, click Create Virtual Machine, then follow the wizard to create the new VM and then install your Windows 2003.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:35 AM