Logitech Camera quit working RRS feed

• Question

• I recieved a Logitech Communicate STX quick cam (USB) camera for Christmas.I ran the software,plugged in the cam when asked,updated the correct drivers and the camera worked fine.I went to use it at a latter date,and now all I see is horizontal lines with funny colors that change over and over.Some lines are verticle as well. Sometimes I see the top of my head with the rest of the screen all messed up.I have tried reinstalling it several times,different ways.Now when I try to install it,it puts my pc into safe mode.Here is what my system consists of.

OS....Vista Ultimate x64

PSU.....450watt

GPU.....xfx 8600GT 250MB

HDD.....500GB

RAM...4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers

CPU...Intel C2D E6550

DFI Blood Iron P35-T2RL (mobo)

I tried it with my sons cam as well and the same problem persists.I sent mail to Logitech and recieved update links that did not fix the problem and I had already had the updates loaded.Any help would be appreciated.

[I will be out of town untill 2-4-08 ]

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 2:39 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting!

Please try the following steps:

1.    Update the driver for your graphic card.

2.    Uninstall the driver and software of the camera and reinstall them.

3.    Perform a clean boot to check this issue, according to the following KB article:

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

If the problem persists, please let me know the following information:

1.    What’s the model of your son’s camera.

2.    Does the involved camera work fine in other computer?

3.    What application are you using to test the camera? Did you try to use other applications, for example Windows Live Messenger?

Thanks for your cooperation! Nice day!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:23 AM
  •  

Thanks for responding.The graphics card drivers are updated.I did uninstall the drivers for the camera and reinstall them.I did try a clean boot.My son's camera is the same as mine.The application I am using is the cameras own application.At this point,I cant even load the drivers or camera,as it puts my pc either in safe mode,or, freezes the application.As far as it working on another pc,I don't know.I have none other than the one I am here on.My son had gotten rid of his and is going to build one.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 9:12 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your feedback!

As I don’t have the camera to do a test for you, this problem may take some steps for troubleshooting, thank you for your patience!

According to your description, I suspect a confliction between the software and some other application installed in your computer. I’ve referred to some troubleshooting articles provided in Logitech website, to reduce the possible problem caused by the confliction, installing the software in clean boot is recommended. For more information, please refer to the following page:

http://logitech-en-emea.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/logitech_en_emea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2347&p_created=1087603220&p_sid=XaPPYMXi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NjAsNjAmcF9wcm9kcz04NDQsNSw4OTcmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PTMuODk3JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

If the program corrupt or lead you to safe mode, please try to remove the software in the safe mode firstly.

I’d love to share with the following suggestions:

1.  If you have any anti-virus or firewall applications installed, please temporarily uninstall it if possible. As this kind of applications sometimes act as the root cause in similar cases.

2.  If you did upgrade your system from earlier version of Windows to Windows Vista and had SetPoint installed, please refer to the following article:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/494/3145&cl=roeu,en

Logitech recommend you completely uninstalling Logitech SetPoint prior to running the Vista setup and migration tool.

3.  Please check if your computer is working after magnetic field or other factor’s effect, which may interfere the webcam working.

4.  If you have successfully loaded the driver, please also test this webcam with Windows Live Messenger video call.

Please let me know the result if possible, I'm happy to be of further assistance any time. Have a nice weekend!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, February 8, 2008 7:25 AM
  •  

Thanks.I went and tried a clean boot and it did not work.Same symptoms.This was not an upgrade system....it was a new system build.The camera did work when first installed.I am going to uninstall my graphics card drivers and reinstall them.Maybe that is contribiying to the problem.I will get back to you.

Here is a link that will clearly show what issue is occuring with the camera.

http://img531.imageshack.us/my.php?image=video2yb4.flv
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:17 PM
  •  

Does anyone want to take a stab at this,has anyone ever had this issue?
    Monday, February 18, 2008 5:30 PM
  • I have a pocket digital camera that has done the same thing.  I just got a new hard drive and haven't added any software beyond what was included on my quick restore cd and service packs.  I have recieved the same warning regarding the safety of my computer when I try to install the software. 

I'm going to set my father on this issue. (He's an awesome computer tech and certified genius, so if anyone can figure it out, he can!)  I'll be the guinea pig and let you know if we can make mine work!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:42 AM