SQL Server Blocking Sessions monitor generates false alert RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm running SCOM2007R2, and I enabled "Blocking Sessions" monitor (SQL MP 6.3.173.1) on a SQL2008R2 instance.  The monitor occasionally generates alerts, but every time when I open up the management studio to check for blocking, there's none.  I increased "Number of blocked sessions" to 2 and "Wait Time(min)" to 120 , but it doesn't help.  Has anyone seen this behavior?

Ed

Monday, April 15, 2013 9:16 PM

Answers

• Hi

the sql Blocking Sessions monitor is script base monitor run in schedule on the sql server , an alert will be generated in scom server if value is >1 and by the time you check the sql server may value change to 0.

you can view more details on state change monitor >health explorer.

(or)  

you can get more details in alert description casing issue at that point of time.
    please add below parameters to the alert description to view details of the table casing alert.
    $Data/Context/Property[@Name='BlockedSPIDTable']$
    $Data/Context/Property[@Name='BlockedSPIDList']$

As Mp is sealed and monitor is internal you cannot update the parameters in alert. there are two ways you can update alert description.
    1) unseal the mp and update alert and seal it back.
    2) disable the monitor and create new Mp with replica of script module with monitor.also you can set the consolidation for the monitor to check if value >1 for x minutes

regards

sridhar v

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:57 PM