none
MDT 2013 Update 2 Monitoring errors RRS feed

• Question

• We just upgraded our MDT server to Update 2.  After the update, monitoring is not longer working.  The service is running and the settings in cs.ini are correct.  The bdd.log on the client shows an error from the web service - "Unexpected response from web service: 400 Bad Request"

The monitoring service was working perfectly before upgrading to Update 2.  Has anyone seen this issue?

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:48 PM

Answers

• Took me forever to fix this. Problem existed on for me MDT 2012 and 2013 both update 1 and 2 for me. Even happened on new servers. The fix is to uninstall sql server SP3. In my case, I uninstalled it and re-installed it and it worked, though some people may just uninstall and leave it off.

After using powershell to query the monitoring database file myself, I found that the clients weren't dumping any data to the mdt_monitor.sdf file at all. Not only that, but the wcf.log file was empty as well, even after moving it to a new directory and restarting services. 

This helped me to narrow the problems a bit, nice job Mikael: https://deploymentbunny.com/2013/12/13/nice-to-know-dumping-mdt-monitor-data-to-a-webpage-using-powershell-update/

I know this will help someone out there... It's not a very well documented problem, and I actually found the fix on other programming/sql sites that had nothing to do with MDT. 

• Marked as answer by Matt Porcelan Tuesday, September 20, 2016 3:19 PM
    Friday, August 12, 2016 2:29 PM

All replies

• Just upgraded to update 2 this morning. Ran 2 images and found that update 2 replaced some of my modified scripts in the scripts folder (which I fixed) and then looked at the logs to find the same type of errors.

<p>The server encountered an error processing the request. The exception message is 'The type initializer for 'ExtentPlaceholderCreator' threw an exception.'. See server logs for more details. The exception stack trace is: </p>
          <p>   at System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.Propagator.ExtentPlaceholderCreator.GetPropagatorResultForPrimitiveType(PrimitiveType primitiveType, PropagatorResult&amp; result)

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 9:51 PM
  • Been getting some problems with monitoring too since U2

There is no monitoring for some deployments, looks random. I have reverted my server to a week old snapshot (still U2) and now i have monitoring. Haven't add time to look deeper sorry.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 2:28 PM
  • We are still having this issue.  The service is running correctly and navigating to both servername:9800 and servername:9801 appear to show the correct web service information.  When using the code below to manually populate a computer, I get the same error that DPCC mentioned.  Anyone else have any ideas?

$MDTServer='ServerName:9800'
    $MessageID = '41015' # Successful deployment
    $MacAddress = '00:15:5D:40:00:02'
    $guid = [guid]::NewGuid()
    $vmhost = 'hv01'
    $ComputerName = 'PC01229'

Invoke-WebRequest "http://$MDTServer/MDTMonitorEvent/PostEvent?uniqueID=&computerName=$ComputerName&messageID=$messageID&severity=1&stepName=¤tStep=10&totalSteps=10&id=$guid,$macaddress&message=Deployment Completed.&dartIP=&dartPort=&dartTicket=&vmHost=$vmhost&vmName=$ComputerName"
    Error:
    Invoke-WebRequest : Request Error
    The server encountered an error processing the request. The exception message is 'The type initializer for 'ExtentPlaceholderCreator' threw an exception.'. See 
    server logs for more details. The exception stack trace is: 
    at System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.Propagator.ExtentPlaceholderCreator.GetPropagatorResultForPrimitiveType(PrimitiveType primitiveType, PropagatorResult& result) 
    at System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.Propagator.ExtentPlaceholderCreator.Visit(EdmMember node) at 
    System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.Propagator.ExtentPlaceholderCreator.CreateEntitySetPlaceholder(EntitySet entitySet) at 
    System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.Propagator.Visit(DbScanExpression node) at System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.Propagator.Visit(DbProjectExpression node) at 
    System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.UpdateTranslator.<ProduceDynamicCommands>d__0.MoveNext() at System.Linq.Enumerable.<ConcatIterator>d__71`1.MoveNext() at 
    System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.UpdateCommandOrderer..ctor(IEnumerable`1 commands, UpdateTranslator translator) at 
    System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.UpdateTranslator.Update(IEntityStateManager stateManager, IEntityAdapter adapter) at 
    System.Data.Objects.ObjectContext.SaveChanges(SaveOptions options) at Microsoft.BDD.MonitorService.MonitorEventService.NextID(MDT_MonitorEntities monitorEntities) at 
    Microsoft.BDD.MonitorService.MonitorEventService.PostEvent(String uniqueId, String computerName, String messageId, String severity, String stepName, Int16 
    currentStep, Int16 totalSteps, String id, String message, String dartIP, String dartPort, String dartTicket, String vmHost, String vmName) at 
    SyncInvokePostEvent(Object , Object[] , Object[] ) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs) at 
    System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc) at 
    System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc) at 
    System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage31(MessageRpc& rpc) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean 
    isOperationContextSet)
    At P:\Powershell\other\mdtmonitortest.ps1:8 char:1
    + Invoke-WebRequest "http://$MDTServer/MDTMonitorEvent/PostEvent?uniqueID=&compute ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (System.Net.HttpWebRequest:HttpWebRequest) [Invoke-WebRequest], WebException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WebCmdletWebResponseException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeWebRequestCommand

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 2:23 PM
  • I'm seeing the same issue in my environment. Monitoring service is enabled but nothing is actually showing up. Uninstalled and reinstalled MDT with update 2. 

<![LOG[Unexpected response from web service: 400 Bad Request

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
      <head>
        <title>Request Error</title>
        <style>BODY { color: #000000; background-color: white; font-family: Verdana; margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; } #content { margin-left: 30px; font-size: .70em; padding-bottom: 2em; } A:link { color: #336699; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline; } A:visited { color: #6699cc; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline; } A:active { color: #336699; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline; } .heading1 { background-color: #003366; border-bottom: #336699 6px solid; color: #ffffff; font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 26px; font-weight: normal;margin: 0em 0em 10px -20px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 30px;padding-top: 16px;} pre { font-size:small; background-color: #e5e5cc; padding: 5px; font-family: Courier New; margin-top: 0px; border: 1px #f0f0e0 solid; white-space: pre-wrap; white-space: -pre-wrap; word-wrap: break-word; } table { border-collapse: collapse; border-spacing: 0px; font-family: Verdana;} table th { border-right: 2px white solid; border-bottom: 2px white solid; font-weight: bold; background-color: #cecf9c;} table td { border-right: 2px white solid; border-bottom: 2px white solid; background-color: #e5e5cc;}</style>
      </head>
      <body>
        <div id="content">
          <p class="heading1">Request Error</p>
          <p>The server encountered an error processing the request. The exception message is 'The type initializer for 'ExtentPlaceholderCreator' threw an exception.'. See server logs for more details. The exception stack trace is: </p>
          <p>   at System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.Propagator.ExtentPlaceholderCreator.GetPropagatorResultForPrimitiveType(PrimitiveType primitiveType, PropagatorResult&amp; result)
       at System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.Propagator.ExtentPlaceholderCreator.Visit(EdmMember node)
       at System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.Propagator.ExtentPlaceholderCreator.CreateEntitySetPlaceholder(EntitySet entitySet)
       at System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.Propagator.Visit(DbScanExpression node)
       at System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.Propagator.Visit(DbProjectExpression node)
       at System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.UpdateTranslator.&lt;ProduceDynamicCommands&gt;d__44.MoveNext()
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.&lt;ConcatIterator&gt;d__58`1.MoveNext()
       at System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.UpdateCommandOrderer..ctor(IEnumerable`1 commands, UpdateTranslator translator)
       at System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.UpdateTranslator.ProduceCommands()
       at System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.UpdateTranslator.Update(IEntityStateManager stateManager, IEntityAdapter adapter)
       at System.Data.Objects.ObjectContext.SaveChanges(SaveOptions options)
       at Microsoft.BDD.MonitorService.MonitorEventService.NextID(MDT_MonitorEntities monitorEntities)
       at Microsoft.BDD.MonitorService.MonitorEventService.PostEvent(String uniqueId, String computerName, String messageId, String severity, String stepName, Int16 currentStep, Int16 totalSteps, String id, String message, String dartIP, String dartPort, String dartTicket, String vmHost, String vmName)
       at SyncInvokePostEvent(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]&amp; outputs)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc&amp; rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc&amp; rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage11(MessageRpc&amp; rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)</p>
        </div>
      </body>

Thursday, June 16, 2016 10:14 PM
  • I'm seeing the same issue in my environment.  Has anyone figured out a solution to this?
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 9:11 PM
  • We encountered exactly the same issue after upgrading to update 2 recently. Has anyone found a solution for it?
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:50 AM
  • Took me forever to fix this. Problem existed on for me MDT 2012 and 2013 both update 1 and 2 for me. Even happened on new servers. The fix is to uninstall sql server SP3. In my case, I uninstalled it and re-installed it and it worked, though some people may just uninstall and leave it off.

After using powershell to query the monitoring database file myself, I found that the clients weren't dumping any data to the mdt_monitor.sdf file at all. Not only that, but the wcf.log file was empty as well, even after moving it to a new directory and restarting services. 

This helped me to narrow the problems a bit, nice job Mikael: https://deploymentbunny.com/2013/12/13/nice-to-know-dumping-mdt-monitor-data-to-a-webpage-using-powershell-update/

I know this will help someone out there... It's not a very well documented problem, and I actually found the fix on other programming/sql sites that had nothing to do with MDT. 

• Marked as answer by Matt Porcelan Tuesday, September 20, 2016 3:19 PM
    Friday, August 12, 2016 2:29 PM
  • Wow. I didn't expect to check on this thread and find a solution.  This fixed the problem immediately.  Thanks for taking the time to post this.  
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 3:18 PM