none
SteadyState 2.5, recovery sreen and Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

•  Hello everybody,

I am currently testing Windows SteadyState 2.5 on Windows Vista and Windows XP Professional (SP2 and SP3)
    and I have problems to get it work properly on the XP machines. On Vista it is working fine.

After turning on WDP everytime I boot the machine I get to the recovery screen telling me that starting the
    operating system was unsuccessful and I should choose between 'Last Known Good Configuratio n', 'Safe Mode', etc.
    EVEN everything is working fine and WDP is working correctly!

I just want to get rid of the recovery screen.
    (I have to mention that this problem does not occur in a Virtual PC - XP machine!!! BUT it does if using VMWare and real computers.)

I also often get the following message in the event viewer:
    "Timeout (30000ms) waiting for a transaction response from the Windows Steady State Service".

But this does not seem to be the problem at all.

I already tried a clean boot but with no luck. And I already checked the services SteadyState depends on.

Besides my problem I also have two other questions regarding the future of Windows SteadyState:
    1)      Since obviously the GuestMode in Windows 7 is cancelled will there be a Windows SteadyState version supporting Windows 7?
    2)      Is it possible to integrate Windows SteadyState in a setup and deliver it to our customers? Or would this be a kind of license violation?

Help is much appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Paul.
    • Edited by Paul_C. _ Friday, May 22, 2009 9:41 AM
    Friday, May 22, 2009 9:23 AM

Answers

• Hello Sean,

sorry for replying so late. But at last I have found the solution or better the cause of my problems.
    The problem was that I installed the clients via an unattended script and I used 'Winnt' as the windows directory.
    After using the default windows directory for Windows XP ('Windows') all my problems are solved.
    I verified this on every machine.

Thanks for helping.

Paul.
    • Marked as answer by Paul_C. _ Tuesday, June 2, 2009 7:40 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 5:47 AM

All replies

• Thanks for the post, Paul. For the current issue, it may happen if the computer is not shut down properly while WDP is enabled. I suggest you log on the computer temporarily disable WDP, restart the computer, then re-enable WDP and make sure the computer is shut down properly.

For question 1, I'd like to inform you that currently, Windows 7 Beta/RC is not supported by Windows SteadyState. We will post related post in the forum while the next version of SteadyState and Windows 7 RTM are officially released.

For the second question, I suggest you check the following thread for solution:

SteadyState Imaging for multipule computers/HWII imaging

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/0a81e6de-cb17-4fe1-b254-2770db564a34/

do you have to run sysprep when making an image

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/fd6943fd-bced-47d2-bf2a-3e79c1f1a786/

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 3:48 AM
  • Hello Sean,

sorry for replying so late. But at last I have found the solution or better the cause of my problems.
    The problem was that I installed the clients via an unattended script and I used 'Winnt' as the windows directory.
    After using the default windows directory for Windows XP ('Windows') all my problems are solved.
    I verified this on every machine.

Thanks for helping.

Paul.
    • Marked as answer by Paul_C. _ Tuesday, June 2, 2009 7:40 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 5:47 AM
  • Hi Paul;

Can you please provide some information about your company, current WSS implementation, and expected timeline for Win7 upgrade?
    Will you consider upgrading to Win7 without WSS support?

As Rob said, currently there is no Win7 support in WSS. This request for information does not mean Win7 support is coming, but I am trying to assess the need.

Thank you for your help!

~Eyal T.
    Microsoft PM

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 1:53 AM
  • Hello Eyal,

our company administer a few thousands (10000) of clients for schools.

Because our customers have the need for the protection WSS provides, we implemented it for Vista and XP.
    At the moment it seems that alot of our customers want to give Win7 a try but the lack of WSS support for Win7 prevents them to do so.

A support for Win7 in the near future would indeed be awesome (with some new feature like excluding certain files from disk protection).

Thank you.

Paul.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:28 AM
  • Hi Paul, you can send your feedback to us at stdystt@microsoft.com . Check the following thread:

Are you a big user of SteadyState? Can you tell us about it? we would love to hear from you!

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/2fba3348-066f-4a04-9392-b8fee133b281

Thank you.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, July 17, 2009 7:16 AM