windows could not configure one or more system components RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to install Vista Ultimate.  I have been running a computer I built months ago that for those months I have installed and ran just fine Vista Home Premium.  For whatever reason about at the end of the install I get this error.

Windows could not configure one or more system components.  To Install windows restart the computer and then restart the installation.  I tried this again and got the same error.

I am using the well known method of doing a clean Full install with a Vista Upgrade DVD by booting from the DVD and formatting the drive partition.  Then after that install performing the upgrade.  I am not using RAID.

Intel DG965WH, 2.13 Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 1 80 GB WD Hard Drive for OS. 1 250 GB WD Hard Drive for data, Samsung SH-S182M, Nvidia Dual TV, HD HomeRun, Zalman HD160, Zalman 460 Power Supply, Zalman CNPS9500 LED, Prolink DVI Port, Vista Home Premium Edition, Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250c

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:35 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the post.

First I would like to confirm the following four points:

1. Do you have a Windows Ultimate Upgrade disk or a Windows Anytime Upgrade one?

2. If you only have a Windows Vista upgrade disk, you must install Windows XP first and then upgrade it to Windows Vista.

3. Did you install Windows XP before trying to install Windows Vista Ultimate?

4. Are you trying to using Windows Anytime Upgrade to upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows Vista Ultimate?

Please understand the issue can occur if some optional Windows components block the installation.

If you are using Windows Anytime Upgrade to install Windows Vista Ultimate, please try the following suggestions in Windows Vista Home Premium:

Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Uncheck all boxes and click OK. Then re-install Windows Vista Ultimate.

If you are using a Windows Ultimate Upgrade disk to install Windows Vista over Windows XP, please try the suggestion below in Windows XP:

Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Windows Components -> Uncheck all boxes and click OK. Then re-install Windows Vista Ultimate.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, November 16, 2007 8:13 AM