none
Photo Viewer to slow to open pictures RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

The Photo Viewer is to slow to open pictures. After I wait and open the first picture any subsequent pic opens fast. When I open photos with Paint it works just fine. I've seen many posts on this online but have not seen any solution.

Any ideas?

This is Windows 10 very fast machine

Thank you. Karel Grulich, MCSE, SBS

Friday, January 20, 2017 9:17 PM

All replies

• Is it Photo app or Photo Viewer? By default Photo Viewer is not a part of Windows 10.

Suggestions to fix Photo app:

Open File Explorer

Click View tab

Click Navigation 

Scroll down to click Show libraries

Right click on Libraries and click on Restore default libraries.

You may also go for Restore Photo app:

Open PowerShell as Administrator and enter the following command:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”} 

Reboot.

If it's a problem with Photo Viewer and not the Photo app then kindly go through the following article:

How to Restore Missing Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Friday, January 20, 2017 11:51 PM
  • Hello,

The Photo Viewer is to slow to open pictures. After I wait and open the first picture any subsequent pic opens fast. When I open photos with Paint it works just fine. I've seen many posts on this online but have not seen any solution.

Any ideas?

This is Windows 10 very fast machine

Assuming you are referring to Windows Photo Viewer, NOT the Photos app which is included in Windows 10.

If yes, it is possible your copy of Windows Photo Viewer is somehow corrupted.
    Go to Programs and Features and uninstall Windows Photo Viewer.
    Then use the link below to reinstall/restore Windows Photo Viewer............

How to Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

If I misinterpreted your post, I apologize.

Saturday, January 21, 2017 12:35 AM
  • Hello and thank you for the suggestions. You are correct. I was talking about the Photos App. I ended up using the suggestion to add the Photo Viewer  back into Win10 and that works just fine.

I used your first suggestion:

Suggestions to fix Photo app: Open File Explorer, Click View tab, Click Navigation, Scroll down to click Show libraries, Right click on Libraries and click on Restore default libraries.

and your second suggestion:

You may also go for Restore Photo app: Open PowerShell as Administrator and enter the following command: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

BOTH suggestions yielded no result to repair the Photos app. It is still slow opening pictures.

The Photo Viewer works fine and great.

• Edited by karelg719 Tuesday, January 24, 2017 1:01 AM
    Monday, January 23, 2017 7:01 PM
  • Hi,

About Photo App, try this app troubleshooter. 

Run troubleshooter 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:39 AM
  • Uninstall Photos App and use default Windows photo viewer. To bring it back download this file https://www16.zippyshare.com/v/AgJ0UfH4/file.html and import it to registry.
    Monday, November 5, 2018 7:51 PM
  • I've been having this issue for the past months as well.  Disabling Sysmain instantly fixed the problem for me.

In a elevated command prompt (with admin rights)

sc config SysMain start= disabled
    net stop SysMain /y

Windows 10 Pro , version 1809 , build 17763.253

Thursday, February 7, 2019 3:47 PM