none
Can I do a sort within a group by PLUS How can I get a column field like Text 8 to also show when I do a "Group by"? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am using MS Project 2007 professional

I have 2 questions.....

1. I set up a "Group by" assignments by Resource and called it A_Assignments. However, the assignments are not in order by the field START and I would like to show what the resource is doing first. I think it is listing by order of task that I have in the Gannt view.

How can I order the assignments the resource has by the field START each time the "Group BY" A_Assignments is used?

2. How can I get a column field like Text 8 to also show when I do a "Group by"?

I have defined a "Group by" A_Assignments and it rolls up the Baseline Work and Baseline Start and Baseline Finish dates just like I want it to. However, I also have defined a Role field for each resource and I would like to see that along with the rolled up resource Baseline work, Baseline Start, Baseline Finish.

Thanks

Thanks

Sunday, May 15, 2011 2:39 PM

Answers

• May be I got it you are looking for the Role in Resource Summary, right? That seems not possible as per my knowledge, best you can do is in Gr by apply second level Gr by in above as first by Names, then by Role. In that case at least you get a level of Summary at Role level.

Just to add on if you use Role as second level and collapse then second level summary appears as :

Resource : Pete

Role : IT            Summary Start   Summary Finish (for a Resource)

In case you don't want key word Role to appear and just want IT to be displayed then use Outline Code 1 instead to hold values of Role. Outline Code is a Lookup type field.

Follow gr by as above

output :

IT            Summary Start   Summary Finish (for a Resource)

Sapna S

Sunday, May 15, 2011 6:45 PM

All replies

• I guess you are using Gr by in the Gantt view, you can apply Gr by 1st - Resource Name then by Start in both keep ascending order selected in Gr by dialouge box, now based on the need you can check boxes - show summary tasks or Gr by only assignments, not tasks. This will Gr first by Resource then sort the list on Start.

You can insert Text 8 if its a task based in Gannt view. If this doesn't help please let us know the View on which you are actually trying this Gr by.

Sapna S
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Sapna

Sorry...The view is Resource Usage view and I didn't want the Start as a field in the Group by. I just wanted the assignments by resource and than the sort order by Start date.

In other words I just want

Resource Pete

TaskA                      Feb 3       March 2

TaskB                      March 5    March 10

TasKC                      May 2     May 28

2. The other issue is that when I do a group by I can NOT see the field value of role when I collapse at the resource level and I need to.

Thanks

Sunday, May 15, 2011 4:58 PM
  • You can follow the above steps itself for Gr by :

Gr by 1st - Resource Name don't select the check box - Gr by only assignments, not tasks. This will Gr by Resource then go to Project -> sort by Start Date (if this suits you).

As for the text1 field -> Role, if its defined for a resource (say in Resource Sheet) it does pick up the values. This is what I got :

Resource Name : Sam 

- Sam

Task         Role         Start                  Finish

T1             IT           16-May-11           17-May-11

T2             IT           18-May-11           19-May-11

Resource Name : Pete 

-Pete

Task              Role         Start                  Finish

T1             HR           16-May-11           18-May-11

T6             HR           18-May-11           20-May-11

Please let me know if you need some more inputs :)

Sapna S
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 6:03 PM
  • Sapna

As for #1 .... Thank You.  That will work. I was using the Resource name as my 1st sort and than START as my 2nd sort and that didn't work but I used Start and only Start as the sort and that worked fine.

As for #2....when I roll Sam or Pete up to the Sam and Pete level I wanted to see the Role at that level and it won't do that. I get Name, baseline start baseline finish, etc. but not Role.

How can I get Role when I collapse to the Resource name

Thanks

Sunday, May 15, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Is the Role field defined as Resource Type ? Do you want role as in my above post or you are looking for something different? Because for me when I defined Role in Resource sheet for a resource it started appearing as above.
    Sapna S
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 6:31 PM
  • May be I got it you are looking for the Role in Resource Summary, right? That seems not possible as per my knowledge, best you can do is in Gr by apply second level Gr by in above as first by Names, then by Role. In that case at least you get a level of Summary at Role level.

Just to add on if you use Role as second level and collapse then second level summary appears as :

Role : IT            Summary Start   Summary Finish (for a Resource)

In case you don't want key word Role to appear and just want IT to be displayed then use Outline Code 1 instead to hold values of Role. Outline Code is a Lookup type field.

Follow gr by as above

output :

IT            Summary Start   Summary Finish (for a Resource)

Sapna S

Sunday, May 15, 2011 6:45 PM
  • Sapna

Yes. I need the role field to display with the Resource Summary and NOT as the second level group by.

I was trying to figure if there was a field around where I could place those values and they would then appear or some other way.

Thanks

Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:18 PM
  • Hi Hotmail1,

I guess its not possible in MSP.

Sapna S
    Monday, May 16, 2011 6:07 AM
  • Why don't you use Resource Group for the role field?  That will appear in
    the Resource Usage view.

Are you setting the value on the Task, Assignmnet or Resource?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Monday, May 16, 2011 12:35 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

Just to provide you the background, Hotmail1 have a Text based field Role that he wants to show up on the Summary Level in Resource USage view. At second level its possible either using Group or Text1 or Outline Code, but at 1st level when GR by is applied on the name the field doesn't reflects in first Summary Level.

Sapna S
    Monday, May 16, 2011 12:58 PM
  • Right but you could do a two layered group.  That would get role on the second line.  Almost the same thing.
    Monday, May 16, 2011 1:24 PM
  • I suggested the same in earlier post but he is looking for it on the first Summary row only :). But seems that is not possible in MS Project, please suggest.
    Sapna S
    Monday, May 16, 2011 1:26 PM
  • My apologies.  Agree with Sapna then.  Have you looked into Exporting to
    Excel and just using a PivotTable there?

Monday, May 16, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Thanks for the follow up.

The thing is I have everything I need from the group by in MS Project except that text field data and it's a shame it can't be shown somehow.

Oh well.

Yes, I thought about copying all the data over to excel but I would have to also copy the timephased area as well......than rollup all the values over their including the timephased. 

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:12 AM