Windows 10 OS Build/version is not changing in WSUS since 10.0.14393.187 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I noticed that although I installed latest CU KB3194798 on few of our computers, version still showing as .187. According to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history it supposed to be .321.

I also checked all computers with KB3194496 installed report as .187, not .222

WSUS is running on 2012 R2 fully patched as of 10/14.

Is there any fix for it?

Friday, October 14, 2016 1:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Igor,

understood, thank you for the feedback, we have addressed this internally, so it will be done faster in the future.

As to the technical matter, there hasn't been another update to the Windows Update Agent on Windows 10 1607. Once the next one will come, that version number will also be updated.

That field is meant to show the version of the Windows Update component and not the operating system. This information is helps you check if all the clients are using the latest WUA version.

Best regards,

Andrei

We could change the world, if God would give us the source code.

• Marked as answer by Igor GDC Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:50 PM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 5:11 AM

All replies

• Hi lgor GDC,

>Windows 10 OS Build/version is not changing in WSUS since 10.0.14393.187

Since your title says Win10 OS not change in WSUS, then, do you mean the build shows in WSUS server is not correct, or the build shows in the client itself is not correct?

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 17, 2016 6:20 AM
  • Hello!

What I mean is that the client has correct build number.

WSUS shows version number if you add Version column to your view. The version in WSUS was changing properly until .187 build. Now any new CU is not getting reflected in WSUS. Unfortunately this forum does not allow me to post screenshots.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:26 PM
  • Hi all,

I have the same issue as Igor. Any of my Windows 10 workstations that have been updated past 10.0.14393.187 show the actual build number on the computer proper (for instance, 14393.321), but Server 2012 R2 WSUS (6.3.9600.18324) shows them no higher than 14393.187.

Like Igor, I can't upload pictures to this forum. :(

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 4:09 PM
  • Hi lgor GDC,

I just tested in my lab and got the same result with you.

Window 10 version doesn't update in WSUS 2012 R2 .18324.

It looks like WSUS 4.0 couldn't recognize the latest Win10 version, since there haven't release other updates to upgrade WSUS 4.0. And the Win10 version is upgrading much quicker.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 21, 2016 7:35 AM
  • Anne, thank you for your help!

I didn't see this issue is mentioned so far anywhere and I want to make sure that Windows development team is aware of the issue. Can you please escalate it to the proper department? Can we get an acknowledgement from WSUS team that they will take care of the issue?

I hope we won't need WSUS update every time we get new Win 10 CU. I also find it little bit odd that this issue surfaced right when W2016 server was released.

Regards, 

Igor

Friday, October 21, 2016 3:28 PM
  • Hi lgor GDC,

Thanks for feeding back this issue to TechNet forum. While it's pity that we do not have direct access to WSUS development team. We could just hope related people can see this post. Pity to the limited help.

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, October 24, 2016 3:04 AM
  • WoW!

Did not expect such answer from TechNet forum. I didn't know it's just for talking among ourselves, sysadmins.

Hope?! That is a bug in currently supported OS, that should be reported and fixed. How would related people find this post if they don't know what to look for?

What should I do to report this bug? MS Connect doesn't have Windows Server bug report program.

Monday, October 24, 2016 2:48 PM
  • Hi Igor,

even Steve Henry the WSUS Product Manager replies on these forums, but one person has only so much time. Below the answer for your question:

There hasn’t been an update to the Windows Update Agent on 1607:

What you see in the console is the file version of the wuaueng.dll file.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 10:38 AM
  • Hi!

Now this is an answer! I don't need Steve to answer me directly, that is why you have tiers of support.

What I'd like as any other sysadmin is something like this "looks like there is a problem I cannot resolve, I'll escalate it to higher level", and not "hope". I'm pretty sure it's not Anne's fault.

So the problem is on the client then and we need Win 10 team involved? They were incrementing it until .187.

This issue may seem minor to some, but when you have a workflow and rely on version to know what patch level clients are on, it's not fun.

(ref to Andrei's signature)
    I wouldn't touch that source code, God knows how many new bugs we may introduce. At least we know how to deal with current ones :) 

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 3:36 PM
  • Hi lgor GDC,

>What I'd like as any other sysadmin is something like this "looks like there is a problem I cannot resolve, I'll escalate it to higher level", and not "hope". I'm pretty sure it's not Anne's fault.

Apologize for the improper word "hope" and thanks for your understanding. Actually, I tried the methods that I could use to rise this issue up, while before I get any information, I'm afraid to promise anything. Anyway, apologize for the hard feeling you got.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 2:10 AM
  • Hi Igor,

understood, thank you for the feedback, we have addressed this internally, so it will be done faster in the future.

As to the technical matter, there hasn't been another update to the Windows Update Agent on Windows 10 1607. Once the next one will come, that version number will also be updated.

That field is meant to show the version of the Windows Update component and not the operating system. This information is helps you check if all the clients are using the latest WUA version.

Best regards,

Andrei

• Marked as answer by Igor GDC Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:50 PM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 5:11 AM
  • Got it! Thank you
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:50 PM
  • Thank you as well, happy patching! :)

Thursday, October 27, 2016 5:31 PM
  • Why would it not show the OS version as well? Seems like it would be relevant to WSUS. I know I would like to have it in the console, instead of tracking it down
    Monday, May 15, 2017 7:11 PM