none
Ampersand causes overflow error? RRS feed

• Question

• Hit a very odd problem today and I wonder if this is just me: had a working SSIS package that loads invoice header records into an accounting database, with no issues. OLEDB source from SQL Server to an OLEDB Command component, which calls a stored proc to perform the inserts.

This week, one invoice row came along that refuses to load, and gives this error:

Error Code: -1071607699
    Column: 0
    Message: Conversion failed because the data value overflowed the type used by the provider. 

So, I am looking at numbers and dates in the data (overflow, I am thinking) and everything is super clean. I am stumped.

Then a buddy of mine, looking over my shoulder, notices that the invoice number column (type varchar(64), DT_STR in SSIS) has this value:

24032 &24173 &24032 - DMC

A little strange, but it's text, right?

He says, "why not remove those ampersand characters and see what happens."

This fixes the problem. I am at the same time relieved and baffled. Is there a bug in the OLEDB provider that makes it refuse the ampersand character?

Friday, May 30, 2008 9:42 PM

All replies

• The & is a bitwise operator in SQL Server. Put a:

SELECT 24032&24173&24032

in an SSMS query window - you'll get an integer back. It might be, for some reason, the column is not being treated as a string, but instead a series of integers. Can you trace the SQL generated and see if there are single quotes around the column?

Saturday, May 31, 2008 12:55 AM
  • in your query, try using either the t-sql CAST or CONVERT functions to explicitly return a string.

hth

Monday, June 2, 2008 8:16 AM