Mailbox size confusion RRS feed

All replies

• Hi,

'Recover Deleted Items Folder' and 'Dumpster' are different. Once the items are emptied from 'Recover Deleted Items Folder', it comes at 'Dumpster'. The quota set for a mailbox includes 'Recover Deleted Items Folder' size also and not 'Dumpster'. Get-mailboxdatabase |fl RecoverableItemsQuota can show you the quota set for Dumpster for all the mailboxes within the database

Regards from ExchangeOnline | Windows Administrator's Area

Friday, May 10, 2013 3:05 AM
  • So...

Recycle Bin -> Recover Deleted Items Folder -> Dumpster...?

I believe at one point there's a purge subfolder and a change (?)  subfolder.

In the case of "legal hold", deletion at one of those levels is prevented.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Friday, May 10, 2013 10:51 AM
  • I wanted to take another look at this and realize I may have not used the right term.

I'm looking at my "Exchange 2010 Best Practices" book (by Jagott and Stidley, et al) and I only see this path:

1. Inbox / Sent Items (etc.) -> 2. "Deleted Items" Folder -> 3. Recoverable Items

"Recoverable Items" is also called "Dumpster 2.0"

It is presented as the "same thing".

It has three sub-folders:

a. Deletions

b. Purges

c. Versions

Moreover, regarding the link I posted above, this article présents the dumpster as being part of the user mailbox (just like the deleted items folder).

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2009/09/25/3408389.aspx

So is it structurally part of the user mailbox... but the contents just not counted against the quota? And therefore a factor to be taken into consideration when planning for server capacity, disk size in particular?

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:49 AM