Unable to activate Windows 10 with error: The product key you entered appears to be for software licensed through an Enterprise Agreement. RRS feed

• Question

• I just spent the last three hours on the phone. I was transferred 5 times and no one could help me. I want to rage beyond words right now.

So here is the problem...

I have a legitimate copy of Windows 7 ultimate. (that I bought in 2010 from my college.)

When windows 10 came out I made a mistake and did a CLEAN install not knowing the idiotic rule of not being able to validate the old windows 7 key. (validation only works if I did a windows 7 to 10 upgrade FOR SOME STUPID REASON.)

Now I am stuck in windows 10. My windows 7 key will not validate to re download windows 7 in order to UPGRADE to windows 10.

I have the disc of windows 7 but I do not have a CD rom. (so I will need to do a USB install)

When I call Microsoft they check my key (to ensure it is valid) they say everything is fine with it, but like I said I cannot use it.

I have not given this key to ANYONE. I also did not deactivate it before the windows 10 clean install.

When I attempt to download the windows 7 download and enter my key I get this response...

"Error

The product key you entered appears to be for software licensed through an Enterprise Agreement. Please contact the Volume Licensing Service Center for software recovery options or visit the Volume Licensing Home Page for more information on Enterprise Agreements"

Someone please for the love of god help me. Every person I have talked to on the phone or on a forum for Microsoft has been the opposite of helpful. They just beat around the bush, give me some copy and paste cookie cutter answer then transfer me to someone else. 

Sunday, November 8, 2015 3:44 AM

Answers

• 1. You are not alone who tried clean install in vain. However there are some good reasons for MS to set upgrade in this way. Clean install will cause users another problems and there will be voices claiming that clean install is stupid. Better is reading credible resources before trying procedure that is not supported...

2. As you have landed in IT pro forum, creating installation USB should not be a problem as well as having external DVD drive. If you have none, you can ask someone for help in your near vicinity.

3. Upgrade path for your operating system is here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#upgrade

You will reach professional version.

4. If there is available new build that allows for clean installation, it is a very good news for those who can work with "new obstacles" and pain for those who buttle hard with drivers.

Regards

Milos

Sunday, November 8, 2015 8:04 AM
  • If you have a friend who has a PC with a DVD-ROM, you could use their PC to create an ISO image file of your Win7ULT DVD (use imgburn or magiciso or similar free tools), then you can apply the ISO image file onto a USB stick to make the USB stick a bootable Win7ULT installer (use MSFT USB/DVD tool or Rufus or similar free tools).

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Sunday, November 8, 2015 9:59 AM

All replies

• Currently win 10 must be done as an upgrade first BUT a new version of win 10 is coming out next week that will allow you to use the win 7 key.  It is called Threshold two and it should be out sometime next week.  That MAY solve your key but if it is a volume key it will not what error message are you getting?

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Sunday, November 8, 2015 4:30 AM
  • 1. You are not alone who tried clean install in vain. However there are some good reasons for MS to set upgrade in this way. Clean install will cause users another problems and there will be voices claiming that clean install is stupid. Better is reading credible resources before trying procedure that is not supported...

2. As you have landed in IT pro forum, creating installation USB should not be a problem as well as having external DVD drive. If you have none, you can ask someone for help in your near vicinity.

3. Upgrade path for your operating system is here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#upgrade

You will reach professional version.

4. If there is available new build that allows for clean installation, it is a very good news for those who can work with "new obstacles" and pain for those who buttle hard with drivers.

Regards

Milos

Sunday, November 8, 2015 8:04 AM
  • If you have a friend who has a PC with a DVD-ROM, you could use their PC to create an ISO image file of your Win7ULT DVD (use imgburn or magiciso or similar free tools), then you can apply the ISO image file onto a USB stick to make the USB stick a bootable Win7ULT installer (use MSFT USB/DVD tool or Rufus or similar free tools).

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Sunday, November 8, 2015 9:59 AM