Change Settings in Appxmanifest.xml RRS feed

• Question

• Greeting,

Can I use use APPLICAITON_Deploymentconfig.xml to change the settings in Appxmanifest.xml? if yes, then how

Thanks

userausera

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 7:21 PM

Answers

• The most awaited App-V 5.1 is out now. It supports your scenario. It allows you to Import/Export Appxmanifest.xml file.

Do the changes to the Appxmanifest.xml file and then go to sequencer, select Advanced tab and click on Import and select the file you edited.  After you successfully import it back in, the manifest file is immediately updated within the package editor and saved along with .appv file.

Source - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt346500.aspx

(Please click on "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", if it has helped you. )

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 7:08 AM

All replies

• Yes you can, it's a in xml format, so change what you want with for instance notepad++.
    Have a look at ACE, a nice tool to set some default settings.
    Also have a look here, and here about more info about custom deploymeny/user configs
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 7:29 PM
  • thanks for the quick answer,

How is the final (patch) APPLICAITON_Deploymentconfig.xml look like ? (the original one is about 17kb).

if I only change one setting. that could be just one line 1kb should be good enough,

thanks

userausera

Since it is not directly change the file appxmanifest.xml file, How can I verify that it works or not?

• Edited by userausera Wednesday, August 12, 2015 7:48 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 7:44 PM
  • How are you planning to change the contents inside Appxmanifest.xml through APPLICAITON_Deploymentconfig.xml? What's the purpose? Can you explain further?

(Please click on "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", if it has helped you. )

Thursday, August 13, 2015 4:10 AM
  • Can you help us with the reason why you are worrying about the size of XML? Also, I've checked several application & it's size is not constant. It varies application by application. But, will be in KB's.

You might have a reason for changing something. Just verify whether the change that you expected gets reflected or not. 

Thursday, August 13, 2015 10:54 AM
  • I want to use "APPLICAITON_ Deploymentconfig.xml" change Target InPackage  = "false" (in Appxmanifest.xml ) to be true
    Thursday, August 13, 2015 2:23 PM
  • thanks for ask, just want to see if I only change one setting how the file look like.

thanks

userausera

newbie in app-v

Thursday, August 13, 2015 2:24 PM
  • From my guess, are you trying to use a VB or powershell script that would change the Target InPackage  = "false" (in Appxmanifest.xml ) to be true in "APPLICAITON_ Deploymentconfig.xml"? How are you going to accomplish this?Are you going to change the Appxmanifest.xml in c:\programdata\App-V?

Since App-V cache is read only, how are you planning to do? Through deploymentconfig, I don't believe you can use a script to edit the Appxmanifest.xml file.During sequencing phase you need to do this.To edit Appxmanifest.xml try this link - http://virtualengine.co.uk/downloads/appv5/save-appv5filexml/

Monday, August 17, 2015 7:56 AM
  • your guess is right!

but is NOT use script to change it.

in the management console use "APPLICAITON_ Deploymentconfig.xml" to overwrite the settings. then it stream to client become cache. NOT directly change the cache. NOT during the Sequencing phase.

After the .appv is there, and the "False" is in the package, I am using "APPLICAITON_ Deploymentconfig.xml" to change it before it stream to client.

I am not sure if it is working or not. and that is the reason I am asking this question in here

thanks

userausera

Monday, August 17, 2015 4:33 PM
  • The most awaited App-V 5.1 is out now. It supports your scenario. It allows you to Import/Export Appxmanifest.xml file.

Do the changes to the Appxmanifest.xml file and then go to sequencer, select Advanced tab and click on Import and select the file you edited.  After you successfully import it back in, the manifest file is immediately updated within the package editor and saved along with .appv file.

Source - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt346500.aspx

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 7:08 AM
  • You can do this automatically this a new free tool called TweakAppV. Read this post for more details.

The best part is that you can scale it to as many packages as you need, saving lots of time.

Bogdan Mitrache
    ------------------------------
    The Advanced Installer team
    http://www.advancedinstaller.com/application-virtualization.html

Thursday, September 15, 2016 2:17 PM