none
Help assigning task to Resource Name in sub projects RRS feed

• Question

• I can't figure this out. I have a master file called 2011. Inside the master are sub project files; John, Jamie, Joe, etc. Each user publishes their tasks from their own project file on the server and they appear updated on the Master file "2011". The problem is... if John re-assigns one of his tasks to "Resource Name" Jamie, it appears under John's task list since that is where it was created, but never appears on Jamie's task list even though he selected Jamie and published it.  Can sub project files interact with "Resource Names"? We don't know if this is even setup correctly.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Running Project Server 2010 and Project Professional 2010

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 6:52 PM

Answers

• First answer to your question, since MS Project Implements Check IN & Check Out functionality so at any time only one person would have edit rights, so others would need to wait till the first one checks it back, Now as per your description master project is nothing but a placeholder to sub projects, so when you create a master project make sure that you insert the subproject with read only,  by doing this it will ensure that your sub projects are not checked out when anyone opens the master project

Steps to create master project : http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/insert-subprojects-into-a-master-project-HP045305590.aspx   

Now There are 2 ways i could think of, if you properly implement the master project and since all your subprojects are available for editing, so John and Jamie can manually enter their tasks in subproject without having the read only issue.

other way and the best way i think is using the My Task page to create a new task, navigate to my task >> New >> Task attach it to the sub project & phase in the sub project you want , it will also follow the approval workflow i.e. wheneevr a team member creates a new task it will go for approval to your boss and as soon as he approves it after reviewing you can start entering the progress

Let me know if this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:56 AM
  • My thoughts influenced from Project Mangement Best Practices, such huge spanned(as mentioned Projects spans upto 3 years) project should be divided into sub projects along with inter project dependecies so that cascading effect of schedule reflects properly and from a Program management perspective to have a holistic view of over all program, these sub projects should be collated in a Master project

So typically Subprojects should be handled independently and should give a holistic view as a program in the form of master project

Hope this helps :)

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 4:56 PM

All replies

• Assuming by task list you mean "My Task"

while changing the resource on the task, also change the assignment owner in MS Project, followed by a save and publish, that should do the trick :)

Hope this helps

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 6:59 PM
  • It still does not show up under the other user's task list in the sub project. When I change the Assignment owner, the Resource Name changes to match, but the task that is being re-assigned is not showing under user's sub project, that is suppose to receive it.
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 7:31 PM
  • Slight confusion, are you talking of "task item" to shift from one sub project to another sub project, when doing a resource reassignment ? 

if the above is what you are trying to achieve, then i would say by reassigning resource the task won't shift from one sub project to another, that needs to be done manually by shifting task from one sub project to another

reassigning resource essentially means the task is of same project but instead of resource1 now resource2 would perform it and changing assignment owner would help the task to appear on "my task" of assignment owner to record progress update

let us know if this answers

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 7:44 PM
  • That is exactly what we are doing. We had someone come in an set this up for us.

What we are wanting to do is have each person enter their tasks from their own Project Professional from their individual computer and publish to a master file. The boss would look at the master file and see all the employees and their project task lists with their start to finish dates. I am afraid if we all use the same file we will have "read only" issues.

Can this even be done?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 8:56 PM
  • First answer to your question, since MS Project Implements Check IN & Check Out functionality so at any time only one person would have edit rights, so others would need to wait till the first one checks it back, Now as per your description master project is nothing but a placeholder to sub projects, so when you create a master project make sure that you insert the subproject with read only,  by doing this it will ensure that your sub projects are not checked out when anyone opens the master project

Steps to create master project : http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/insert-subprojects-into-a-master-project-HP045305590.aspx   

Now There are 2 ways i could think of, if you properly implement the master project and since all your subprojects are available for editing, so John and Jamie can manually enter their tasks in subproject without having the read only issue.

other way and the best way i think is using the My Task page to create a new task, navigate to my task >> New >> Task attach it to the sub project & phase in the sub project you want , it will also follow the approval workflow i.e. wheneevr a team member creates a new task it will go for approval to your boss and as soon as he approves it after reviewing you can start entering the progress

Let me know if this helps

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:56 AM
  • So far we don't have the read only issue with the way we have it set up with sub projects. Before we had one project created and all of us would have to open it and enter our task lists to the project. This is where we ran into read only issues because we all couldn't open the file at the same time to make changes or add tasks. That was the reason we moved to the sub projects. Is the proper way of setting up project is to use one single project that we all contribute to?
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 3:24 PM
  • My thoughts influenced from Project Mangement Best Practices, such huge spanned(as mentioned Projects spans upto 3 years) project should be divided into sub projects along with inter project dependecies so that cascading effect of schedule reflects properly and from a Program management perspective to have a holistic view of over all program, these sub projects should be collated in a Master project

So typically Subprojects should be handled independently and should give a holistic view as a program in the form of master project

Hope this helps :)

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Since I work for a Fair, our project is the over all annual fair for this year. So each fulltime employee publishes their own project which is a subproject in the main project file. Each employee represents their department. Our General Manager looks at the main project file where he sees all the sub projects listed. When we hold our annual meeting to review everyones tasks, we can pull open up main file and review it on the projector screen .We go through each person's task list and times frames while using the gant chart.

So, from what I am gathering from your last post, we are using it correctly so far. I changed the user permissions earlier so that only our project managers can make changes to main project file. Everyone else are listed as members and can only publish to it, but can open as read only.

Thank you so much for shedding so much light on this. This helps a lot.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:13 PM