none
How can a work pc and a personal pc synchronize desktops unintentionally? RRS feed

• Question

• Copied from https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-can-a-work-pc-and-a-personal-pc-synchronize/cc0ce565-c15a-484f-9473-a5027bc404f2?tm=1565944669382&auth=1

Hi

One of my colleagues just popped a question to me that I can't really answer. He has a personal pc at home as well as a work pc for work (obviously). The work pc is used with his work account *** Email address is removed for privacy *** while the personal pc has a completely different username (and domain). The work pc is connected to our domain.

Yesterday he brought the work pc home to do some work, but then he noticed that icons/files from his personal pc suddenly showed up on the desktop on his work pc. Checking the personal pc, work-related files showed up there as well. It's like the two are synchronized. This is absolutely not intentional!

We have checked settings->accounts->sync your settings. The first one is disabled. Theme, password etc. is enabled. There is no account details in the top though.

How is this possible? And how to stop it?

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 9:33 AM

Answers

• Just an update. My colleague had, despite saying otherwise, logged in on OneDrive on both PCs with "sync desktop" activated.

Gosh I hate when people won't tell the whole story and I'm left to guessing....

• Marked as answer by Casper Schmidt Monday, September 16, 2019 6:54 AM
    Monday, September 16, 2019 6:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Casper Schmidt, 

Does the issue occur when 2 PCs in different network?

As I know, some third party software will sync PCs in same network, so please check if any suspicious related software installed in Control Panel\Program and feature.

Also please check if it caused by OneDrive when we login same account on 2 PCs. 

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 4:05 AM
  • Hi Joy-Qiao

My colleague said it happened when he brought the work pc home to do some work from his home office. I don't know if it has continued to sync after he brought it back to the office.

He has not installed/set up any third party software to sync since this completely unintentional (we have sensitive data that should never be available on a home computer)

I have asked him about your questions, especially regarding OneDrive, however I'm going on a two week holiday tomorrow so please don't close this or expect any answers in the meantime :)

Friday, August 23, 2019 6:37 AM
  • Hi Casper Schmidt, 

Thank you for your reply.

I will wait for your back and update more information about this issue.

We will leave the thread open.

Have a nice holiday.

Bests,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 26, 2019 3:25 PM
  • Just an update. My colleague had, despite saying otherwise, logged in on OneDrive on both PCs with "sync desktop" activated.

Gosh I hate when people won't tell the whole story and I'm left to guessing....

• Marked as answer by Casper Schmidt Monday, September 16, 2019 6:54 AM
    Monday, September 16, 2019 6:54 AM
  • Hi, 

Thank you for your feedback. 

We have suspect it would caused by OneDrive as my previous post in the upper. Any way, we are glad to hear the issue have been resolved at last. 

Bests, 

Monday, September 16, 2019 7:06 AM