any suggestions on how to virtualise old typing tutor program RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

We have an old typing tutor program that needs to be virtualised using App-V for easy distribution. This program has been sequenced and shortcut was published onto the test clients desktop. This new virtualised program works only if the user has administrative rights on their machines. After quick analysis I found why program doesn’t want to run. When program starts it temporarily copied two system files on to c:\windows directory. When you finish using this program and quit from it, it removes those two files. Obviously, users without admin rights do not have permissions to copy and delete those two files from c:\windows folder. This would be an issue regardless of whether the app was virtualised or not but does anyone have any suggestions how this may be overcome in the virtual environment so the app can be published without modification to access rights on the client computers?

Thanks in advance 

Saturday, October 18, 2008 11:56 AM

Answers

•  Tim Mangan wrote:

Just sequence it.  The app won't actually write to the windows folder on the client machines as those locations will be redirected to the user or global pkg file for the app. 

...unless VFS mapping for Windows -directory does not appear inside the package, in which case application would try to write to read Windows -directory. Also, I'm pretty sure that even if it's in VFS, and not fully virtualized, client would still try to write new files to real Windows -directory. Making Windows -directory fully virtualized would result even more humorous

experience..

What I would try is to include those couple of files (manually, if needed to) in the sequence, virtualized from the Windows -dir. That way any modifications to those files would go to PKG file.

/Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, August 7, 2009 8:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:44 PM
    Monday, November 3, 2008 9:31 AM

All replies

• Just sequence it.  The app won't actually write to the windows folder on the client machines as those locations will be redirected to the user or global pkg file for the app. 

PS: I do recall doing some old programs like that many years ago for a customer.  The apps used a very old version of quicktime to display the video.  This turned out to be a big issue because that version of quicktime would eat up 100% of a CPU and starved the rest of the system, including the virtualization engine.  The result was not pretty.

Monday, October 20, 2008 11:26 AM
  • The other thing to consider is that App-V isn't intended to solve application compatibility issues.  You said it is an old program, so have you verified that the program runs correctly when installed locally on your current OS?

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:22 PM
  •  Tim Mangan wrote:

Just sequence it.  The app won't actually write to the windows folder on the client machines as those locations will be redirected to the user or global pkg file for the app. 

...unless VFS mapping for Windows -directory does not appear inside the package, in which case application would try to write to read Windows -directory. Also, I'm pretty sure that even if it's in VFS, and not fully virtualized, client would still try to write new files to real Windows -directory. Making Windows -directory fully virtualized would result even more humorous

experience..

What I would try is to include those couple of files (manually, if needed to) in the sequence, virtualized from the Windows -dir. That way any modifications to those files would go to PKG file.

/Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, August 7, 2009 8:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:44 PM
    Monday, November 3, 2008 9:31 AM